There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Good people working towards a better culture

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

good knowledable people who work hard to deliver value to customers. There is an effort to change some of the culture and as it improves so will the company.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the bottom line. There is poor communication from top down. People want to be able to tie the value they deliver to customers to their own work. This requires some level of recognition for a job well done. This does not happen.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A decent place to work, but not to make a career

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

They have very knowledgeable employees

Cons

Average to below average salary Weak bonuses Most Promotions are given based on nepotism or friendships and result in people being ineffective in their positions

Advice to Management

Reduce all the layers of management Dont let a new VP of Operations, coming from Account Management, bring their admin assistant over and make her manager when she has not been mentored for that position Recognize your frontline employees Hire managers and directors who are LEADERS and have people skills

Great company to work for, but there is always room for improvement

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

I work from home. I get overtime every week, if I want it. I have worked 100+ hours in a pay period. I'm paid hourly, plus compensation for OT, so that was a nice paycheck. I get paid more than what I should get paid to do this job, but I'm not sure I'd put up with all of the daily problems if I wasn't paid what I get. Vacation time is great, 12 days your first year, 18 days years 2-5, and up from there. The insurance plan used to be awesome for me as an individual, now it's not so hot... They cut their contribution to insurance benefits (HSA is what I use) big (50%) when Optum finalized their takeover, but added tuition reimbursement and a few other odds and ends. The quarterly bonuses are by far my favorite thing about working here... each one I've got save for my first were more than 20% of my pay for that quarter.

Cons

They've made some questionable decisions as far as promoting people goes during my tenure here... promoting someone because they complained that they couldn't change departments and weren't happy about that sticks out as the most obvious example. The parking situation surrounding the building CST is housed in is a mess, and unacceptable. Fortunately, CST is moving to a different building in a different office complex, so that problem should hopefully be alleviated. The commute to Newtown Square is a mess if you don't bother to learn some of the back ways. The lack of options for dining in the area is a big negative for me as well. If you have a thirty minute lunch break, you've basically got Wawa, your choice of a few pizza places, one chinese place, McDonalds, or to bring your own lunch.

Advice to Management

Better health insurance sure would be nice. Or even just more of an employer contribution... I went from $0 out of pocket a year to something like $1k out of pocket a year, which is ridiculous considering I don't make all that much to start with. You should also probably consider hitting the reset button on the IT department, the amount of issues we have been having over the past several months is just ridiculous, especially when one issue can bring pretty much the entire company grinding to a halt... which has happened 3 times in the past 6 months.