There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Join this company at your own risk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Good place to gain initial experience if you do not have any prior managed care experience

Great place to learn what NOT to do and how a managed care organization should NOT be run. This can be as important as learning what you should properly do to run a company correctly. I'm not trying to be funny here. I'm quite serious about this being a positive learning experience. As long as you aren't looking to retire from this place, the experience may be beneficial.

Career advancement exists if you are seeking to move up the corporate ladder. The company is growing very fast and there's a high employee turnover rate, so opportunities are constantly popping up, if that's your cup of tea.

They offer free beverages like tea, coffee, water

Cons

Long hours without additional compensation. I mean 60+ hours per week and in some cases 14+ days of work without a break. If you value your personal time or have a family, you may want to think twice before taking a job here.

Horrible benefits. Most of the married workers, at least the pharmacists that I've spoken to, do not use the healthcare benefits offered by Optum, even though they all work for Optum. The benefits from their spouses' plans are much better. I'm single so I don't have another option, but I can say that the dental and vision benefits are horrible. You end up paying most of the bill out of your own pocket. I can only imagine what the medical benefits will be like if I need to use it to treat a major medical problem.

I used to think this was at least a place with job security. However, with some of the recent issues that have impacted the company, I'm not so sure about that any longer.

Senior management is far too removed from the actual work and should not be making any decisions that impact the operational, day to day work. Unfortunately, they often do make these decisions and it causes unnecessary additional work or introduces new inefficiencies.

Management is continually making decisions to cover their own butts and ensure their own job security, even at the expense of the employees' work-life balance, employee morale, and the overall company. They should be leading the company and looking for ways to make improvements. Instead they often spend their time and energy trying to shift blame on another department and take the CEO's scrutiny away from themselves.

The company is technologically challenged. Access, Excel, and an outdated claims system are considered acceptable platforms by senior management, when the rest of the industry is using far more sophisticated tools. Our senior managers refuse to invest in new applications and are too short sighted to see that the long term consequences will be the downfall of the company.

The management team is a big part of the problem and that includes all of you as senior managers, who are reading this post. I do not foresee things changing until a new vibrant, positive company culture can be established. That may mean new senior managers.

2057 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

WORST PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Senior HIM Consultant in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior HIM Consultant in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Telecommute is fun and saving money on gas is the key.

Cons

Managers abuse their power and retaliate if you make an complaint against them for discrimination or harassment.

Get rid of your managers who think their invisible and violate the law..

Amazing and Grateful.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Kingston, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kingston, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Stock
    Growth/opportunities
    Work from home
    Value work experience
    Strong managers who give feedback that helps you grow.

Cons

High responsibility
    High Stress
    TIght deadlines
    Travel occurs twice a year

Thank you! I appreciate my job so much!

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group