UnitedHealth Group

www.unitedhealthgroup.com
  www.unitedhealthgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Large organization tends to add to complexity

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Job and career opportunities
Challenging work
Work/life balance
Organization trying to adapt & be an innovative leader in a changing market place

Cons

Poor medical benefits strange given we are a health care benefits corporation
Difficult to maneuver within large organization to locate right people/team
Significant process overload while trying to work with IT
Slow to respond to changing environment
Often times manual processes, workarounds institutionalized due to cost and time to delivery of IT.
Complex IT infrastructure which can result in difficulties in getting member claims processed correctly.

Many organizations are going to OptumInsight to do IT workarounds outside of the core UHG IT systems because they are cheaper and can do the work faster highlights an organizational issue with IT. We are all the same organization.

2127 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for, but there is always room for improvement

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

I work from home. I get overtime every week, if I want it. I have worked 100+ hours in a pay period. I'm paid hourly, plus compensation for OT, so that was a nice paycheck. I get paid more than what I should get paid to do this job, but I'm not sure I'd put up with all of the daily problems if I wasn't paid what I get. Vacation time is great, 12 days your first year, 18 days years 2-5, and up from there. The insurance plan used to be awesome for me as an individual, now it's not so hot... They cut their contribution to insurance benefits (HSA is what I use) big (50%) when Optum finalized their takeover, but added tuition reimbursement and a few other odds and ends. The quarterly bonuses are by far my favorite thing about working here... each one I've got save for my first were more than 20% of my pay for that quarter.

Cons

They've made some questionable decisions as far as promoting people goes during my tenure here... promoting someone because they complained that they couldn't change departments and weren't happy about that sticks out as the most obvious example. The parking situation surrounding the building CST is housed in is a mess, and unacceptable. Fortunately, CST is moving to a different building in a different office complex, so that problem should hopefully be alleviated. The commute to Newtown Square is a mess if you don't bother to learn some of the back ways. The lack of options for dining in the area is a big negative for me as well. If you have a thirty minute lunch break, you've basically got Wawa, your choice of a few pizza places, one chinese place, McDonalds, or to bring your own lunch.

Better health insurance sure would be nice. Or even just more of an employer contribution... I went from $0 out of pocket a year to something like $1k out of pocket a year, which is ridiculous considering I don't make all that much to start with. You should also probably consider hitting the reset button on the IT department, the amount of issues we have been having over the past several months is just ridiculous, especially when one issue can bring pretty much the entire company grinding to a halt... which has happened 3 times in the past 6 months.

Positive

Current Employee - Trainer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Trainer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great quarterly compensation, and career developement.

Cons

System issues can become frusterating to do your job efficiently. Better employee benefits would be nice.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group