UnitedHealth Group

Negotiate smart!

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

This is a great place to start a career. Good training programs. The company greatly embraces working from home. Your best bet is to develop some skill and expertise in one of their systems or processes. This will give you exposure around the company. Also, Look into other areas of the business like OptumHealth and UHN. These areas generally provide more dynamic programs and leadership.

Cons

Starting pay is generally low and doesn't go up much from there. Better to leave the company and come back. This is not as risky as it sounds and many employees to this. Just don't burn any bridges.

In addition to your merit based incentive program add one that is tenure based as well to encourage good people to stay.

2165 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Better job than most.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

I have had great opportunities available to me with limited knowledge in the field I am currenlty working.

Cons

Crappy benefits. Working at a health insurance company, we should have better than average health benefits. They are not.

No advice.

There are a lot better places to work.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

If you can work in the system you can earn a decent living. The rewards were much better when their stock was a high perfomer. Salaries are below maket, but the benefit package is ok. If you can fit into their system there are opportunities to advance by moving between departments and divisions.

Cons

Management is ruthless and has little regard for employees. It is definetly a "results at all costs" organization. The Human Resources department is really just a computer program. The bonus programs they have are very confusing, and typically you have no idea how to win in the system. Goals come from the top down with not logic. The goals tend to be extremmly high and very unreasonable. They justify this by saying "it's what our stockholders must have!"

Recognize the value of your employees more.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group