UnitedHealth Group

www.unitedhealthgroup.com
  www.unitedhealthgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Easy to get sucked into to the daily lifestyle grind reaching for the brass ring.

Former Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN
Former Employee - IT Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Opportunity for advancement if you're willing to pay the price. Compensation for top performers is good to very good and the ability to move horizontal to another organization is a common practice. Up to a certain job level co-workers are for the most part helpful but after that it becomes more of a dog eat dog for those looking to move up. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people at the operations level of the orginization who are satisfied being at that level and they will always help and are happy just doing their job. It those that aspire to be near the top that are difficult.

Cons

Work / life balance is way out of wack, working from home means you're available 24 x 7. Once you try to help by taking on additional work from a former co-worker you now own it along with everything else you already have to do. Once you agree to do a little travel you're now a road warrior but watch that expense account or you'll be stuck paying for it out of your own pocket. If you report to a Sr. Director or above all they care is that your work gets down without them or their boss hearing about. Need help with an issue, be a "leader" (not just a manager) and find the answer yourself. Call HRDirect and see if they can help as that's what they're there for. If it was possible when applying for a job in a certain department or business segment it would be great to know how many people grade 30 and above are divorced as that'll tell you how many are married to their job and that'll be the same expectation they have for you.

The GE model didn't work for GE and it's not working for UHG. If that bottom 10-20% isn't worth retaining why'd you hire them in the first place? Spend some time trying to understand where each employee can contribute best and then make it your job to see that they succeed. Reward the entire team for a teamwide success, not just those who had the occaision and opportunity to shine briefly.

2165 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

For an insurance company, they supply worthless insurance to their employees but have other perks.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Springfield, MO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Telcommuting. I have been working from home now for 3.5 years out of the 5 years I've been here and it gives me the flexibility to spend more time with my kids and be able to work around our busy family life.

Cons

I worked here for over 1.5 years before I ever was considered for telecommuting and was never on warning and exceeded well over the expectations to be able to work from home.

To get rid of the review system we went to this year. It sucks.

Be careful of whatyou ask for

Current Employee - Director, Product Development
    Current Employee - Director, Product Development

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Salary is good and the office environment is nice. There are a lot of talented people in the organnization. The buildings are well kept and there is a sense of safety and security in the organization. There are good people to work with and work for. Additionally, you are working for a Firtune 50 company (depending on the day, I suppose). There is the ability to leverage across United companies to synergize and grow, personally and professionally.

Cons

Poor leadership and lack of downstream communication

TRANSPARENCY