2002 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Rewards hard work, respects diversity, cares about its customers, is truly working to make health care better.

Current Employee - Director  in  Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - Director in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large established company, pays competitively, good benefits 20 paid days off to start with plus 9 holidays, after 5 years you get 25 days paid time off. Easy to make a career out of working for if you are hard working and willing to look within yourself and improve your skills there is vertical mobility (I was promoted 3 times in 5 years) Good 401k match up to 4.5% if you contribute 6% of your annual salary, fully vested on all money after 1 years of employment. Employee Stock Purchase Program virtually guarantees you can make 15% on 10% of your salary annually (I've made consistently between 15% - 45% on 10% of my salary).

Cons

It's insurance which is not all the exciting to some IT folks who may want to work someplace hip and cool like Apple or Google. This is a pay for performance company so if you don't want to compete for your annual raise & bonus (if eligible) you may not like it here. There is a tremendous amount of change going on at all times so if you think you can come in and sit around like a Post Office job, think again, this is a place for people who want to get things done. It is a HUGE company with 100,000 employee's so it takes time to absorb all the process & procedure and make a network of colleagues but after 6 months you start to feel comfortable and after a year you'll be proficient at your job.

It's important to staff appropriately, until the legacy systems are shutdown we need extra hands to keep things running smoothly.
Advice to HR, be careful that we don't treat solid performers the same as bottom performers.