There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Overall its a good place to work

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Start of with 4 weeks PTO; You are not the only one doing your job - lots of people to assist with coverage. Pay is on par with the avg

Cons

For a network engineer - its a little too SILO'd for me. For example - as a network engineer in the datacenter, I like to unbox a new switch, rack it, stack it, cable it, configure it, and operate/maintain it. What I just listed is done by 6 different people operating in their own SILO's.

For example, there is someone that specs out heating/cooling and the physical layout of where the switch goes, then someone else unboxes/screws it in, then someone else installs modules/plugs the data cables in, then someone else configures it and powers it on.

Also - since its a Healthcare company that operates under HIPPA rules - things are locked down so tight that its impossible to get your stuff done realistically.

Also - they use HSA for their benefit package - unless you are Grade 25 or below (Desktop Support Analyst) you cannot have a PPO. (Network Engineers typically start at Grade 27ish) An HSA is where you have to contribute x dollars a month into a Savings Account and you are responsible for the first 3500 - 4500 dollars of your health costs. Full coverage kicks in after that. So if you are a healthy jock - this works against you. If you have a terminal condition - this is the best package for you. After the initial deductable - 100% coverage kicks in.

Advice to Management

Need to offer a PPO

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I love my job

Current Employee - Coach/Supervisor in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Coach/Supervisor in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

1. Fantastic People
    2. Great facilities
    3. Plenty of advancement opportunities
    4. Meaningful work, a honest chance to make a difference in each caller's life
    5. Fair pay and good benefits
    6. Professional work environment

Cons

1. It is work, you only get out of it what you are willing to put into it, so if you are lazy or negative you won't experience the full potential of a career with CNX.

The worst experience in my 25 year career

Current Employee - Senior Network Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Network Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enthusiastic sales team. Innovative approach. Good advancement strategies.

Cons

Inexperienced, unskilled managers. An "old boys network"mentality, even with women leadership. A lot of favoritism. Some blatant racism. A lot of lip service to employee satisfaction, but no concrete processes to ensure it.

Advice to Management

Provide leadership training to managers. Promote managers based on skills and when they are ready to manage teams.