UnitedHealth Group

www.unitedhealthgroup.com

Great leadership, great workers, but soft in the middle....

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsBig company, lots of opportunity and room to move around. Leadership is strong and there are good programs in place to change the culture into one of accountability. Lots of telecommuting roles.

ConsGrew fast through acquisition without fully maturing their internal processes or systems. This makes it a target rich environment, but a frustrating one. Change is resisted till they are in pain, and then it is resisted some more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are middle managers who are awful and need to be eliminated. I've seen them in several areas of the company, where they fly under the radar because they have fewer than 5 direct reports and are not reviewed by their employees. There is a total lack of skip level meetings, so no opportunity to discuss any issues you may have with a manager when talking directly with THEIR manager.

The business is not supported by IT, but held hostage by it. They are condescending and outrageous in how they interact with the business. It would be a far more economical business to run if IT were outsourced. At least then, it would be clear who the customer is and contracts could be terminated for nonperformance. You need to invest in the next generation of systems because you are behind the times severely. Get out of the software development business. You are terrible at it. India wasn't the answer, they only made it worse. So now you can toss away failed projects that cost less, but failures none the less.

I'll never comprehend how a company this size can manage their money so poorly that they are in an annual third quarter bloodletting mode year after year after year. If the only answer to a balanced budget is to cut head count, then you are hiring badly and planning poorly. send your financial guys out to pasture and hire women who know how to keep a family of 6 afloat.

If you want to get really radical, take the company private. Save all the money you would invest in shareholder management and financial regulation and put it into the infrastructure that you so desperately need.

All the space to grow, just need patience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The people that work there are amazing. The support you get to be good at your job is wonderful. You can go as… Cons: They dont pay as well as contracting, but they do pay well for the hours… Advice to Senior Management: The push does not make sense sometime. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very flexible with family needs.

Senior Quality Claims Representative (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: I get to work from home and can make up time… Cons: The health insurance offered could be a little better. Advice to Senior Management: Stop outsourcing. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on UnitedHealth Group.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!