There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Great leadership, great workers, but soft in the middle....

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Big company, lots of opportunity and room to move around. Leadership is strong and there are good programs in place to change the culture into one of accountability. Lots of telecommuting roles.

Cons

Grew fast through acquisition without fully maturing their internal processes or systems. This makes it a target rich environment, but a frustrating one. Change is resisted till they are in pain, and then it is resisted some more.

There are middle managers who are awful and need to be eliminated. I've seen them in several areas of the company, where they fly under the radar because they have fewer than 5 direct reports and are not reviewed by their employees. There is a total lack of skip level meetings, so no opportunity to discuss any issues you may have with a manager when talking directly with THEIR manager.

The business is not supported by IT, but held hostage by it. They are condescending and outrageous in how they interact with the business. It would be a far more economical business to run if IT were outsourced. At least then, it would be clear who the customer is and contracts could be terminated for nonperformance. You need to invest in the next generation of systems because you are behind the times severely. Get out of the software development business. You are terrible at it. India wasn't the answer, they only made it worse. So now you can toss away failed projects that cost less, but failures none the less.

I'll never comprehend how a company this size can manage their money so poorly that they are in an annual third quarter bloodletting mode year after year after year. If the only answer to a balanced budget is to cut head count, then you are hiring badly and planning poorly. send your financial guys out to pasture and hire women who know how to keep a family of 6 afloat.

If you want to get really radical, take the company private. Save all the money you would invest in shareholder management and financial regulation and put it into the infrastructure that you so desperately need.

2018 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Very flexible with family needs.

Current Employee - Senior Quality Claims Representative  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Claims Representative in Springfield, MO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I get to work from home and can make up time if I need to take off to take care of family issues.

Cons

The health insurance offered could be a little better.

Stop outsourcing.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Given my experience, I have no pros to offer for this company. I started looking for a job two months after I started here.

Cons

Culture needs to be improved. Each department does what is best for the group with no consideration for the others they support. One roadblock after another, very little interdepartmental cooperation, little care for employees and what they can offer, poor dissemination of information from leadership, too siloed.

Adversarial relationships between departments has never worked – change it. More work will get done when people work together. Learn to identify and appreciate what your employees have to offer. I have an MBA and spend the majority of my day performing the work of an admin (no offense intended to admins) and updating simple Excel spreadsheets. It is a waste of a $100,000 education and my time.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!