UnitedHealth Group

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Competitive sales-focused workplace

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours,
Ability to telecommute,
Good maternity benefits,

Cons

Competitive,
Often operating on extremely tight budgets,
Management has high expectations and give you little help,
No really great opportunities outside of Minnesota or Hartford, CT
Middle management is often clueless about commonplace procedures (like obtaining legal approval on documents, or specifics about available insurance products),
Benefits package (health insurance, particularly) is kind of meager, considering we are a benefits company.

the senior leadership team is all extremely conservative, but that works in an insurance setting. I've met 3/4 of them and they're all pretty decent people. But the company is huge with over 70k employees a lot gets lost in middle management. The middle management that I have worked with has problems taking responsibility for areas they should be, and also have a really hard time giving clear direction. A lot of times, its the management team that seems to be taking the point of view that a job is a job and the bare minimum is enough.

2344 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

A Nightmare of Incompetence and Confusion

Current Employee - Senior Customer Care Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Care Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Low or no raises even though dept makes billions per year in profits, managers with no experience or training, constant nitpicking, terrible job aids, information sometimes impossible to find, rules change daily, terrible insurance--just like Medicare; 80/20 with high deductibles. Outsources jobs to India using taxpayer dollars. If you're a drone and don't mind being forced to do things you know are incorrect, this is the place for you.

Hire people with appropriate experience and training.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Given my experience, I have no pros to offer for this company. I started looking for a job two months after I started here.

Cons

Culture needs to be improved. Each department does what is best for the group with no consideration for the others they support. One roadblock after another, very little interdepartmental cooperation, little care for employees and what they can offer, poor dissemination of information from leadership, too siloed.

Adversarial relationships between departments has never worked – change it. More work will get done when people work together. Learn to identify and appreciate what your employees have to offer. I have an MBA and spend the majority of my day performing the work of an admin (no offense intended to admins) and updating simple Excel spreadsheets. It is a waste of a $100,000 education and my time.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group