UnitedHealth Group

www.unitedhealthgroup.com
  www.unitedhealthgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Where engineers lose their relevance

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Plymouth, MN
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are about what you'd expect
Great lighting
Modern parking lot
It encouraged me to find something better.

Cons

Benefits are about what you'd expect
You will watch your skills drain away while the industry passes you by
Hostile, arrogant managers
Mind numbing tasks, micromanaged to death

Encourage people not to work here. Oh wait, you already do that. I contracted for more than a year and then converted to full time because I figured it *had* to be better than being a rental (their word, not mine). Forget it. You know those places where everyone is leaving because morale is so low and the only people that stay are those who have lost hope? This is one of those.

2170 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

In at a low salary, that's where you stay

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offer a very flexible work schedule

Cons

bonus and salary are bogus, if you get in the company low, they will never bump you to where the salary should be. Also, benefits are cheap, but you pay out the ears with medical bills

Pay your employees before they leave

Still Disorganized - Still Siloed - Still Hopelessly Clueless - even after three section changes in three years

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had hope for my newest section, though it is a REALLY bad sign when the section leader goes on vacation after hiring you (like the same day you come onboard, he is gone for two weeks) and then, when he comes back, he is no longer your manager. New mantra to self: "Don't take it personally... Don't take it personally... Don't take it personally". Brand new group - new people new to the org - bonus, right? Mostly, but they had never worked at a place like this and it showed.... Morale was down the toilet due to financial expectations on a group (in the millions) who had been in place like four months. Really? Seriously? Who was the genius behind all this?

Okay - back to pros... Telecommuting was nice. I liked the fact that the company was still supporting this, though I saw the job options for telecommuters dwindling in the past year. May be all jobs have been affected, not sure. Flexibility was nice, but that was a component of telecommuting, I believe. ESPP and 401K match were also good, but probably pretty standard. PTO was well above average, but you needed it in that place.

Cons

Health insurance was bad. Real bad. And costly. I didn't even buy it, it is so bad.

Disorganized and mismanaged workplace.

Siloed behavior - no one knew what was going on elsewhere.

Crazy, unreasonable financial expectations.

Turnover of personnel was through the roof - always hiring because always losing people. No continuity. Last group had 60% turnover in 1.5 years - only one non-Director person from the old group was still there when I left. The group before that had 100% turnover in 1.5 years, including the Director.

Crappy, outdated, broken systems - dozens of systems which are not integrated.

Too many entrenched, old, BULLY, boys-club management - they truly only want 'YES men' around them. Be prepared to be yelled at for not saying 'YES' to everything.

Tons of non-compliance and unethical behavior all over the place in all areas.

Don't even know where to begin. Just glad it is not me anymore....

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group