UnitedHealth Group

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Great work-life balance; Boring projects; Non-competitive salary

Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Horsham, PA
Former Employee - Applications Developer II in Horsham, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm an IT professional who worked on the Compas applicatioin for the Medicare & Retirement (previously known as Ovations) business segment. So this review is mainly in regards that.

As a whole, UHG is a great place to work. They have flexible hours with telecommuting options. No one's ever breathing down your back. There's always some sort of event that involves food and employee interaction. Great PTO from the start! The employees are what make UHG a good place to work. I've come to know a lot of great folks, and that was one of THE toughest parts about my departure.

Cons

The technical projects were not interesting. Project decisions and design were mainly provided by developer leads and their direct reports, thus not allowing professional growth in the full SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process for mid-senior level developers. The technology and methodologies are well dated. Projects and simple tasks take forever to complete do to the amount of red-tape and hurdles to get through. Seems like 50% of the development staff just want to manage. There's very few 'true' developers.

The department as a whole is disfunctional. They preach innovation but fail to be innovative. You have Developers telling Functional Analysts how to and what to write in their technical documents (use cases, system requirements, so on). Makes you wonder why even bother having FAs. The salary is not competitive. I basically got a 20K jump in salary after leaving! Oh, and there's basically a "re-org" every six months.

Don't know where to begin.

2329 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Run away!

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am not sure if there are any, I guess the pay is good for a work from home job.

Cons

You apply for the job and get hired for what you think is a clearly stated position and hours but once you settle into orientation it all changes. after about 2 weeks my group was told that their hours were changed to evening shift hours from day shift. the manager held up her hand and stated it was not up for discussion and reminded us all of our pay grades. Another manger (a male) threatened to interrogate us (all females) individually in a private room because we complained about the change and tried to complain about the change. It worsened over the next couple of months, denied time off, I was told that company needs were more important than attended my daughters high school graduation, they demand that you work overtime for no compensation but they deny you 1 hour to attend a family event. If you try to question them they call you into meetings where you are intimidated, bullied, and demeaned. They say they treat people that way because they can! I was told I could not contact HR to ask for a neutral party attend a disciplinary meeting because my pay grade didn't allow me to contact HR. When I did it anyway Hr confirmed that it was not company policy to deny HR to anyone, I was retaliated against by the manager and work from home revoked even though I had no disciplinary action take, my computer was tampered with and when I questioned, I was lied to by the IT department about what was wrong with it. HR had an outside person conduct an investigation about my complaints and validated me in all. I finally had to resign because of the bullying and intimidation so they tried to deny my unemployment benefits. during that hearing the manager and an internal UHC investigator lied multiple times which was proven by me and documentation, I won my benefits and am waiting an arbitration hearing. meanwhile 2 of these managers have been promoted... Can anybody say class action lawsuit?

trat people with respect, when you try to force, bully, intimidate and demean people problems like this develop, there is simply no need for it. treat people respectably and they will do their job.

Culture is deeply infected with an illness of incompetency and racial discrimination

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security evenif you don't contribute anything because contribution is not expected by the leadership. Flexibility too because your manager doesn't know what you do.

Cons

To succeed, you need to know or quickly learn the art of manuvering within the corporate politics and even if you learn, it won't help if you aren't able to be one of them. Everyone in my department, clinical, sales, IT knew that I deserved a promotion but because I didn't bow down to the leadership, I was never promoted.
    The benefit structure doesn't change even though the company wide Vital Sign survey does indicate that to the leadership about it every year since past many years.
    Most incompetent staff I have ever worked with. Every department has 1 or 2 bright individual who have to lift the weight of their whole department or team. There are dramatic and phony initiatives such as the Executive Leadership Program, Spot Awards and Talent Management Program, etc. are thrown as a carrot (a very small sum of lunch money) to individuals who are bright.

Do not have any advice as this will go to the management with dumb heads and deaf ears

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group