There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Overall positive for the amount of opportunity available

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Senior Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wide breadth of businesses enable the ability to work on a number of different projects and work with lots of smart people

Cons

Conservative culture that is shifting towards being more 'innovative', but ultimately doesn't know what that means.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not Great

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Large company. Good hours. Solid culture. Mobility Possibilities.

Cons

Lack of smaller scale innovation

Advice to Management

Big change is great, but if the smaller parts aren't ready, then it won't make the difference you desire.

Poor PTO Policy

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Hartford, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of anything that stands out when compared to other leading companies. if I have to think of one thing, they are so large, you can find a job in any state with them most likely.

Cons

In regards to being a Full Time Employee at United Health Group, their view of PTO it is a "grant" to the employee.

If you decide to leave the company and give notice, you lose all earned PTO that you have earned for that year,if you have not used it. How's that for true benefits?

Let's say you worked very hard all year, and have what equals to 3 weeks of vacation used ( Again you worked hard and did not take time off). You get a new job, and give your notice. You lose all that PTO, and you do not receive cash equivalent for this.

I think this is disgusting, considering UHG is largest insurer in this country with billions in revenue and they treat their employees like this.

In 2013, PTO is earned by the employee. We deserve paid time off as they is what we agreed to when hired. I have to assume not one of their 30,000 employees know this is the rule of UHG when they are hired.

You also only get 18 days off if you start in the low pay bands, other companies give you 20. Why would a company not just make it 20 which is a full 4 weeks off a year. I just don't understand the leaders of this company.

Advice to Management

Change your insulting to PTO leave policy. PTO is earned by hardworking employees and it is not a grant.