There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Just A Number, the epitomy of the uncaring Healthcare company you read about in the media

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Telecommuting is encouraged here, salary is competitive, advancement is possible if you survive the on going layoffs across the organization that come annually. Lots of resources to get things done. Good company to add to your resume.

Cons

Tremendous organization, very segmented and hard to find people outside your division if you need to move across product lines. You will only know the people in your area, very little interaction other-wise. Corporate culture is very cold - comprised of former consultants and MBA's that take great pride in showing how smart they are. No acknowledgement of life outside of UHC at all - not even a Merry Christmas to anyone before the holiday, its all about the business and only the business, alot of kissing up to the boss and tattling about others to get ahead. They also love restructuring the management to put people with no product experience in that division to bring a new vision - which is just scary. Imagine working for someone that doesn't understand the business - this causes unrealistic expectation levels when it comes to goal setting and business objectives. Yes, the corporate culture here is very strange indeed. I know many who have passed through here, if you make it past 2 years without getting job eliminated, consider yourself lucky!

Advice to Management

More focus on the business of healthcare and less on the stock price.

reviews filtered by

Be very careful accepting a job United Healthcare...

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a lot of great people and I found my work to be challenging and fulfilling. The benefits were ok, the pay was average.

Cons

United Healthcare will do everything they can to legally screw you over when you leave the company. There are several states that have recently made it legal for a company NOT to pay you vacation pay once you give your notice, United Healthcare will definitely take advantage of that. I worked with my manager to give them three weeks of notice (at his request) in order to finish up work I had assigned to me. My reward for this loyalty and dedication? UHG screwed me out of several thousand dollars I had earned in unused vacation time. In calls to their benefits office I was told, 'we are well within our legal rights to not payout PTO when you resign.'

I am baffled as to why a multi-billion dollar company would be so petty but, they are so be very careful when taking a job with UHG. Absolutely shady.

Advice to Management

Demand that senior management make changes to policies that are unethical or at the very least, be open about the fact that you have no ethics and you will screw people over because you can.

It's worse than the rumors

Former Employee - Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is a VP. The really 'big' VPs are nowhere to be found - on their decks in warm States making phone calls looking for business.

Cons

High level of testosterone. Everybody in leadership is a rainmaker, or wantabee rainmaker. They rely on staff who have 'been there and got the teeshirts.' The leadership all traded in their Accenture, Deloitte, Bain starter jobs after ten years for Optum. Leadership is all about sell, sell, sell. Very poor management skills. The onboarding is overwhelming...the lack of integrated systems is eye popping!! The OpenAir timecard system is right out of the 90's.

Advice to Management

Sort out the VP rank and file and make the title mean something, and make sure they have leadership and management skills. Get some state of the art IT leadership before it's too late.