There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Just A Number, the epitomy of the uncaring Healthcare company you read about in the media

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Telecommuting is encouraged here, salary is competitive, advancement is possible if you survive the on going layoffs across the organization that come annually. Lots of resources to get things done. Good company to add to your resume.

Cons

Tremendous organization, very segmented and hard to find people outside your division if you need to move across product lines. You will only know the people in your area, very little interaction other-wise. Corporate culture is very cold - comprised of former consultants and MBA's that take great pride in showing how smart they are. No acknowledgement of life outside of UHC at all - not even a Merry Christmas to anyone before the holiday, its all about the business and only the business, alot of kissing up to the boss and tattling about others to get ahead. They also love restructuring the management to put people with no product experience in that division to bring a new vision - which is just scary. Imagine working for someone that doesn't understand the business - this causes unrealistic expectation levels when it comes to goal setting and business objectives. Yes, the corporate culture here is very strange indeed. I know many who have passed through here, if you make it past 2 years without getting job eliminated, consider yourself lucky!

More focus on the business of healthcare and less on the stock price.

2001 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Not employee friendly

Former Employee - Senior IT Business Analyst  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Business Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is honest, their employees are not their priority. Only offered promotions when employees were offered other positions. No real opportunity for growth.

Cons

The company was not consistent with policies, procedures, wasn't a great experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone going to work with this company.

Physicians (and everyone else) do not work here

Former Employee - Physician Advisor  in  Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Physician Advisor in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free parking other than that, free coffee? For now at least. Horrible coffee.

Cons

I wish EHR would have rescinded my offer - to the 100's of physicians who were affected: you are better off! This place is a nightmare. Pay was very low and no one ever received the full bonus thanks to UHG's magical 'target numbers'. I worked with physicians who are 'eligible for board certification' but who are not board certified. I also worked with nurse letter coordinators (who actually do what everyone think I do) who barely spoke English and I spent most of my time correcting their grammar and/or falling off my chair laughing. The company has cut a lot of their work force. Some positions were eliminated due to cost-control (such as outsourcing nurses to the Phillipines), others due to lack of need, such as the implementation team. A lot of very talented people were let go, but if your company is not growing and not acquiring new business it is understandable. For the few employees who are left, I would suggest that EHR wise up to the fact that the economy is not as bad as they think and the competition pays more.

Enjoy what will probably be your last job. Ever.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!