Overall positive.

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Cypress, CA
Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Cypress, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good study program for actuarial students.

Cons

Some departments could be rather busy and may require overtime.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Jun 7, 2013Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for the positive review and glad you like working here!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Physician Advisor conned by Cocktails and Conversations

Former Employee - Physician Advisor in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Physician Advisor in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'd be lying if I said anything.

Cons

Position is nothing like what was described at the C&C. There is no freedom, no stress-free scheduling. I had to schedule a small window of time to get up from the computer and take the dog outside. if you pause for a minute, the command center calls you immediately to remind you of the expectations for case turnaround time. It feels like Big Brother. Even after I packed up for the day, I was a nervous wreck and had trouble relaxing because it felt like someone was still watching my productivity and I would get yelled at for watching tv. Other employees were treated poorly as well. Employees in IT told me they hadn't received raises or bonuses in years and their time was scrutinized down the minute of arrival and departure.

Advice to Management

Stop calling the Physician Advisors PA's. For a healthcare organization, you think they would know the trade lingo - PA stands for Physician Assistant. I'm convinced this company doesn't know anything and that is why they are hemmorhaging people, client hospitals, and money. Healthcare reform will close the doors on this organization as they are becoming obsolete. The Management Team at EHR probably won't even notice.

It's worse than the rumors

Former Employee - Director in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is a VP. The really 'big' VPs are nowhere to be found - on their decks in warm States making phone calls looking for business.

Cons

High level of testosterone. Everybody in leadership is a rainmaker, or wantabee rainmaker. They rely on staff who have 'been there and got the teeshirts.' The leadership all traded in their Accenture, Deloitte, Bain starter jobs after ten years for Optum. Leadership is all about sell, sell, sell. Very poor management skills. The onboarding is overwhelming...the lack of integrated systems is eye popping!! The OpenAir timecard system is right out of the 90's.

Advice to Management

Sort out the VP rank and file and make the title mean something, and make sure they have leadership and management skills. Get some state of the art IT leadership before it's too late.