1997 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Pays very well...at a price

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive
Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I first started with the company, I was working locally before moving into large corporate accounts. The best thing I can say about working for the company is the people and the training opportunities. I developed some close friendships with a lot of people and still stay in touch with them. United does invest a lot in their employees and they do hire very qualified and educated people. They also do pay extremely well compared to other companies. They are also a very technologically advanced company and customers like that.

Cons

Although they hire the best and pay you extremely well, it comes at a price. There is no work/life balance in this type of role in the organization and it is very stressful. Most roles there do require a lot of work. They demand a lot from their employees. You are expected to put in long hours and you have to get the job done no matter what. I suffered from extreme anxiety, insomnia and fatigue when I was there and that was one of the reasons I left. Also, this is a VERY corporate environment, so if you are not into that type of environment, I would suggest staying far away. I have also seen managers leave because of the stress. Also, the benefits are not good now. Everyone is on a high deductible plan. No one sees the doctor because of everything is out of pocket until you hit your deductible.

Don't get too caught up in corporate and be more engaged with your employees. I have seen many managers who were brainwashed by UHC's corporate life and "corporate speak". Also, I never thought our customers would understand the corporate sayings or value statements we were supposed to promote. They just want a fair price for their healthcare, not all of the extra fluff.

Other Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Challenging and chaotic

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You manage your own assigned accounts so there is a high level of independence and flexibility. Telecommuting is allowed once a week.

Cons

As a branch office, corporate vision is often elusive. Requires a vast array of skills with expertise in excel, mathematics, and problem solving. Very detail-oriented and you must be able to juggle multiple requests at once.

More overview, training, and interaction.

Room for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company with a decent working environment. Lots of chances to move to other teams if you want, I've had 4 different jobs in 7 years.

Cons

Pay increases can be a bit slow, bonuses aren't very large.

Reward your top performers.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!