UnitedHealth Group
2.8 of 5 1,588 reviews
www.unitedhealthgroup.com Minnetonka, MN 5000+ Employees

Very political in nature, depends on who you know.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Golden Valley, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay and PTO was fine.
Most employees were very helpful and did the best they could given their workload. My dept had wonderful employees - dedicated and hardworking!
Benefits OK but not great.

ConsVery, very (!) political environment. If someone higher up doesn't like you, you are done. If you give your opinion and it doesn't agree with theirs, you're done. Even when it's your job to point out possible future issues (so they can be avoided), middle and upper management won't like it and you'll pay. Best to just agree or brown-nose.

Also, the number of layoffs were incredible - our (smallish - 200 employee) company was purchased by OptumHealth and within 3 -4 years all but 3-4 front line employees had been laid off or had their positions eliminated. (This was how long it took to migrate our original company's software into the UHG platform)

The only ones to stay were the managers someone in Optum's management liked but even management has high turnover - they only stay for a few years and get tired of the back-stabbing that goes on.

One of the worse changes that occurred was HR's decision to go to a bell-curve method of 'grading' employees. Even if a manager had only 5 employees and they all did a spectacular job, only 1 or 2 would be rated as outstanding, 1 had to be rated as 'needing improvement' and the rest were rated as average.
I think this method was installed so raise allocations could be justified to the gov't (or to hold off unionization) but it would have been better to give high ratings to everyone doing great work and not tie raises to a 1:1 ratio with their rating. It only makes sense that someone at the top of their pay range wouldn't get as high a percentage increase as someone at the bottom of the same range who was also doing a great job. Employees aren't stupid - they would understand that.

Statistically speaking, a bell curve only holds true when it included thousands and thousands of test subjects but practically speaking, no one wanted to rate all their employees as 'bad' just so you can rate all yours 'great, even if true. That rating method is VERY demoralizing!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the bell-curve method of rating employee performance. Don't expect employees to take on more and more work just so Optum's finances look good in the short term. (You might be more profitable if you hired more employees, resulting in the existing ones staying and working harder). Don't just talk about fairness, work-life balance and how you value employee's feedback, put those values into practice.

Terrible company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hooksett, NH

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: the other customer care professionals were nice Cons: no assistance or support from supervisors. If supervisor said they were going to follow up on an issue, it was often forgotten and the… Advice to Senior Management: Managers should get more direct feedback from the customer care professionals about their supervisors and how… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Training is lacking, no one wants to help! Can not follow through on idea's!

Kingsport, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

Pros: The company is community involved. Their are great idea's and some good people but a few bad apples… Cons: Company makes it sound as if they are wonderful to work for however it is no different than any other… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employee's and help them with the questions they have. Don't answer a question with a question. Taper your call metrics instead of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on UnitedHealth Group.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.