UnitedHealth Group

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Not Bad, Not Great

Former Employee - Claims Processor in Bothell, WA
Former Employee - Claims Processor in Bothell, WA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I wish I had more positive things to say about the company, but as a general thing, the best parts of this job were specific to the Bothell office. The people I worked with and worked for directly were, with few exceptions, pretty good or even great. We had a good local culture because we were somewhat distant from the home office and largely autonomous, at least initially.

The one thing the company did right was that, when we lost the huge contract that sustained most of our office, they managed to keep us employed for a couple more years with a big project.

The company seems willing to let a lot of people telecommute though, which is always a plus.

Cons

Every time something came down from higher-level management, it was bad news for us.

Our medical benefits got worse every year, and they weren't great to start with. (As an aside, it's pretty galling to work for a health insurance company that provides such mediocre health insurance to its employees. Almost every plan I worked on was better than mine.)They slashed our benefit for diabetes medications at just about the same time they were running a big diabetes awareness campaign.

They implemented a combined claims/customer service department for their newer contracts, but it's such a miserable department to work in that everyone who transferred to it regrets it. No one working in our office would apply for openings there, so they had to hire outside the company.

And then there were little things like "normalizing" policies for PTO and bonuses across the company, and those were inevitably worse for us.

The company also puts out a bunch of initiatives about caring about its employees, particularly their health, but it rings pretty hollow given our non-competitive pay and poor benefits.

All that is without getting into the company trying to use its employees as part of its propaganda machine when they were fighting against the ACA. Every employee was given pre-written post cards to send to Congress decrying the ACA.

Stop treating your employees like cogs in your money machine while your marketing department tries to fool us into thinking you care.

2165 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

UHG pays well, but offers a challenging work environment

Former Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

UHG offers very competitive pay. There are many varied positions, and it is a good place to work if you enjoy challenges.

Cons

The culture is very cut-throat. Management has high expectations, but often offers little support. They definitely believe in the stick, rather than the carrot.

Abandon your ridiculous pretense that the culture has changed. When push comes to shove, performance is the value that rules the day.

Good company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and amazing atmosphere

Cons

I don't see any COns with the company

UnitedHealth Group Response

Nov 4, 2013Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for the great review!

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group