UnitedHealth Group
2.8 of 5 1,583 reviews
www.unitedhealthgroup.com Minnetonka, MN 5000+ Employees

Negotiate your pay BEFORE you start

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Horsham, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsOverall, I like the organization very much. I'm in M&R and my department is one of the more flexible ones in the company, even in the building.

Great work from home policy (my dept allows two days per week)
Generous PTO
Supportive team. I haven't met a single disagreeable person in my department.
Casual attire in the Horsham office.

ConsDon't expect significant raises or salary increases. Despite all the positive propaganda about the success of the company throughout the year, come bonus time the company suddenly "didn't do so well this year." Best to negotiate a better salary at the door bc you won't move up much once you're here.

The health benefits! It's a common complaint here. How ironic that I now have the worst benefits I've ever had in my career.

The company is all about employee engagement, but a lot of times it is forced engagement. Sometimes, employees are happier when they are left alone. The company needs to distinguish employees who want to be engaged from employees who prefer just to keep their heads down.

I lucked out with my department, but management and policies vary significantly from team to team and department to department. There is not a lot of consistency here.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees want straight talk throughout the year. If one side of the company isn't doing well, let us know. Don't have us thinking we're going to be rewarded for our success at the end of the year and then throw us a curveball.

The bonus distribution unfairly punishes one segment of the business. In 2012, Insurance Solutions did really well, but because Optum didn't do well, no one got rewarded. I can't help the success of Optum, so I shouldn't be punished for their performance.

Look at the varying policies across the departments. Encourage departments to institute successful policies from other areas. This will lead to more consistency across the board.

OptumRx Review from one individual contributor viewpoint

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Premier pharmacy benefit management company - has won multiple awards for customer service and prescription fulfillment capability. This division of United Healthcare is large enough to… Cons: Mentoring is not always available in all areas. Growth comes from a person applying to… Advice to Senior Management: Better career development opportunities should be offered. A mentoring program should be developed for all levels of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It's as good as you make it.

Network Account Manager (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Stable. Progressive. Profitable. Flexible. Work from home is more and more acceptable. Loads of places… Cons: Demanding. The insurance industry is causing UHC to tighten up.… Advice to Senior Management: Rich up those benes a little, will ya? Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on UnitedHealth Group.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All reviews posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.