There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Negotiate your pay BEFORE you start

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Horsham, PA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Horsham, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, I like the organization very much. I'm in M&R and my department is one of the more flexible ones in the company, even in the building. Great work from home policy (my dept allows two days per week) Generous PTO Supportive team. I haven't met a single disagreeable person in my department. Casual attire in the Horsham office.

Cons

Don't expect significant raises or salary increases. Despite all the positive propaganda about the success of the company throughout the year, come bonus time the company suddenly "didn't do so well this year." Best to negotiate a better salary at the door bc you won't move up much once you're here. The health benefits! It's a common complaint here. How ironic that I now have the worst benefits I've ever had in my career. The company is all about employee engagement, but a lot of times it is forced engagement. Sometimes, employees are happier when they are left alone. The company needs to distinguish employees who want to be engaged from employees who prefer just to keep their heads down. I lucked out with my department, but management and policies vary significantly from team to team and department to department. There is not a lot of consistency here.

Advice to Management

Employees want straight talk throughout the year. If one side of the company isn't doing well, let us know. Don't have us thinking we're going to be rewarded for our success at the end of the year and then throw us a curveball. The bonus distribution unfairly punishes one segment of the business. In 2012, Insurance Solutions did really well, but because Optum didn't do well, no one got rewarded. I can't help the success of Optum, so I shouldn't be punished for their performance. Look at the varying policies across the departments. Encourage departments to institute successful policies from other areas. This will lead to more consistency across the board.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

An opportunity lost - now in a death spiral

Current Employee - STL in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - STL in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paychecks haven't bounced....yet. Not laid off....yet.

Cons

Forget any original ideas or anything that might make you better at doing your job - management knows what is best even though business is off 40% since 10/01/2013 since Regulation 1599-F ('two midnight rule") went into effect. Your domain expertise counts for nothing. What COULD have been done when Medicare announced the IPPS would be fundamentally changing in 02/2013 with a new regulatory overlay? Lots of things. 1. Contingency Plans A, B, C, D, etc. Was any of this done? Was any of this articulated to employees? To clients? Appears to be no. 2. Reassuring clients regarding the value of EHR 3. Diversification away from Concurrent Operations (90% of EHR's business.) 4. Unleashing UHG's lobbyists on Washington to scuttle 1599-F. 5. And more! Expect another round of layoffs in 2014 and the company to be put on life support (pardon the pun!) once Congress comes back from break and extends the suspension of the enforcement of the two midnight rule to 10/01/2014 - seems pretty assured at this point. Now EHR is going to be charging clients for Post-Discharge Reviews (something that previously included no extra charge to clients) - not much of a strategy when hospitals, traditionally very risk adverse and conservative institutions, are paying a lot of $$$ to EHR and even EHR cannot provide clear guidance to navigate these highly turbulent regulatory waters and justify its value to clients. Hence, death spiral. Bonuses expected to be cut substantially. And now only paid out only once per year - used to be quarterly. Seems to go against the HR canons of employee compensation where work effort and compensation are linked in as closely and timely manner as possible. ~300 people laid off on 11/21/2013 - Happy Thanksgiving!

Advice to Management

1. Hope is not a business strategy. 2. Why have there been no high level managerial departures since 10/01/2013? Business is off 40% and crucial educational materials were not made available (even internally!!! much less to client sites) to rank-and-file workers for 10/01/2013. In fact, these materials weren't delivered until almost two days AFTER 1599-F went into effect? That is acceptable?!?! 3. Still issuing Blackberry OS 7 devices to management. Has anyone checked with how well Blackberry is performing as company? 4. If you are a physician I hope you haven't given up seeing patients - you just might need an exit strategy. 5. Has anyone thought of bringing Dr. Robert Corrado back? He is sorely needed for leadership, strategy, and vision.

senior customer service rep

Pros

pay, benefits nice and comfortable working enviornment. you get to go in and sit in a laid back workspace

Cons

boring repetative work. lack of creativity. feels like the life is being sucked out of you when you step in the building