There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Good first foray into business even if it was lacking a bit on the technology end.

Former Intern - Applications Developer in Hartford, CT
Former Intern - Applications Developer in Hartford, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern

Pros

I was only an intern but they had a program geared towards helping new entry level ITers and us interns feel at home and learn the ins and out of the business. My manager was very helpful, especially when it came time to go through the red tape to download different software, and when it came to networking throughout the company. Even though I was an intern other people treated my problems and thoughts as if I had been working there for 10 years.

Cons

Your experience will vary widely between teams. Some managers allowed people to work from home some frowned upon it, some teams had a light-hearted, joke-around-but-get-work-done atmosphere and some teams were more serious. Also the red tape. So much red tape it took me two weeks to download an API I needed. The salary seems on the lower end for someone graduating with a CS degree. If you are looking to be on the verge of cutting edge technology don't look here. They are a business first and even though their IT department is large enough to be its own business that does not mean its a very tech-oriented company. Also the work-life balance seemed a little lacking for a lot of the full-timers (not for me of course I was only a lowly intern).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst professional experience ever.

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

A few people appreciate hard work over sucking up to management.

Cons

Terrible medical benefits, management is terribly passive aggressive, "face-time with directors and high level execs is much more valued than intelligence and hard work.

Advice to Management

Realize that not everyone needs to be outgoing and incredibly social in order to be a key producer. Belittling employees for being introverted does nothing but cause damage.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The nurses, doctors and support staff are on the whole very nice people.

Cons

They are in client services business and fail at client satisfaction. Have deceived clients for years. There is a total lack of respect for the employees and no attempt at merit or cost of living raises in over 6 years! Very top heavy, senior management is not interested in the capabilities of any person below themselves.

Advice to Management

Wake up.