Horrid work environment for Nurses

Former Employee - Telephonic Nurse Case Manager
Former Employee - Telephonic Nurse Case Manager

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow Nurse Case Managers, a few were very knowledgeable, compassionate.

Cons

Requested Accommodations, denied repeatedly. Metrics matter, patients do not. Ridiculous case loads. Harassing, retaliatory environment. Humiliated repeatedly in front of peers by management and the medical director, who doesn't even have an active license. Insurance benefits terrible, forced to buy prescription meds through the company pharmacy at their prices. Managers lie to HR and are unaware of their own policies and procedures, ADA and EEOC guidelines. Patients complained of their insurance claims not getting paid or denied, even though they sought care the company instructs the nurses to advise the patients to seek out for basic health maintenance needs, resulting in poor relationships with patients at a detriment to the patient's health care needs. Disgusting to make money off of human suffering. Profits in the billions, however nurses were denied bonuses, told no money for them.

Advice to Management

Ensure claims are paid, review nurse performance based on patient outcomes, not call center guidelines. Nurses are highly educated and want their patients to have the best care, the best outcomes. Hold your lower management accountable to and enforce ADA and EEOC guidelines, do not allow or tolerate bullying tactics. The cost will be great otherwise.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good first foray into business even if it was lacking a bit on the technology end.

Former Intern - Applications Developer in Hartford, CT
    Former Intern - Applications Developer in Hartford, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern

Pros

I was only an intern but they had a program geared towards helping new entry level ITers and us interns feel at home and learn the ins and out of the business. My manager was very helpful, especially when it came time to go through the red tape to download different software, and when it came to networking throughout the company. Even though I was an intern other people treated my problems and thoughts as if I had been working there for 10 years.

Cons

Your experience will vary widely between teams. Some managers allowed people to work from home some frowned upon it, some teams had a light-hearted, joke-around-but-get-work-done atmosphere and some teams were more serious. Also the red tape. So much red tape it took me two weeks to download an API I needed. The salary seems on the lower end for someone graduating with a CS degree. If you are looking to be on the verge of cutting edge technology don't look here. They are a business first and even though their IT department is large enough to be its own business that does not mean its a very tech-oriented company. Also the work-life balance seemed a little lacking for a lot of the full-timers (not for me of course I was only a lowly intern).

A great learning lesson

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home opportunity Independent working

Cons

Customer metrics were unfair and slightly unrealistic

Advice to Management

Rather than tell your agents what to do, show them how to do it.