Horrid work environment for Nurses

Former Employee - Telephonic Nurse Case Manager
Former Employee - Telephonic Nurse Case Manager

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow Nurse Case Managers, a few were very knowledgeable, compassionate.

Cons

Requested Accommodations, denied repeatedly. Metrics matter, patients do not. Ridiculous case loads. Harassing, retaliatory environment. Humiliated repeatedly in front of peers by management and the medical director, who doesn't even have an active license. Insurance benefits terrible, forced to buy prescription meds through the company pharmacy at their prices. Managers lie to HR and are unaware of their own policies and procedures, ADA and EEOC guidelines. Patients complained of their insurance claims not getting paid or denied, even though they sought care the company instructs the nurses to advise the patients to seek out for basic health maintenance needs, resulting in poor relationships with patients at a detriment to the patient's health care needs. Disgusting to make money off of human suffering. Profits in the billions, however nurses were denied bonuses, told no money for them.

Advice to Management

Ensure claims are paid, review nurse performance based on patient outcomes, not call center guidelines. Nurses are highly educated and want their patients to have the best care, the best outcomes. Hold your lower management accountable to and enforce ADA and EEOC guidelines, do not allow or tolerate bullying tactics. The cost will be great otherwise.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The nurses, doctors and support staff are on the whole very nice people.

Cons

They are in client services business and fail at client satisfaction. Have deceived clients for years. There is a total lack of respect for the employees and no attempt at merit or cost of living raises in over 6 years! Very top heavy, senior management is not interested in the capabilities of any person below themselves.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

270 People Laid Off in Last Wave of Downsizing

Current Employee - Associate Director Strategic Accounts in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Director Strategic Accounts in Remote, OR

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. This field has a 20 word minimum and I cannot think of anything positive.

Cons

Poor management from the Executive Team. How do they still have jobs? I left a large consulting company to come here. Every time I speak to a client I have to stifle my laughs - this company is a joke!

Advice to Management

My advice to UHG Management is to replace the executive team at EHR. The c-suite are inexperienced and are essentially puppets for UHG. Save the money - bring in your own team to run things correctly.