UnitedHealth Group

Good place to work

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Overall it was a good place to work and offered the opportunity for advancement along with a friendly work environment.

Cons

There were some politics at the company and often times red tape bogged things down to the point where it was hard to get something done.

Expand more beyond the traditional lines of business. Focus on the growth areas of the market and lead those to be sucessful.

2165 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Large Company -- It's what you make of it

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Lots of opportunities because of the size of the company, particularly if you are OK with moving (especially to Minnesota)

Cons

Size makes for challenges in communication, matrix structure and multiple acquisitions adds to complexity
    Lack of a unifying vision -- opportunity to truly be "a health care company that happens to do health care"

Either let aquired companies do what they do best, or truly assimilate them -- replace legacy systems with modern solutions

United Health Needs To Do Better

Former Employee - Provider Phone Representative
    Former Employee - Provider Phone Representative

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

I have a better understanding of Health Insurance Industry; Majority of the people are nice to work with.

Cons

The desks,seats, keyboards, monitors and restrooms are not very clean. No raises, low pay for all the work they expect of you. During the crisis with the economy, UHC started firing employees for trivial infractions such as coughing on the phone and for grammar related errors like saying "seen" when maybe you should say the word "saw". They switched representatives jobs and didn't give the training for the job they were expecting them to do. When those employee's started making mistakes, they were written up and up to terminated (it didn't matter that they hadn't received the proper training for the job they were doing). No employee is treated the same across the board: whether you can do an awesome job doesn't matter--it only matters if you get a supervisor or manager that likes you and will vouch for you. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing..half the employees are doing their job based on old information while the other half have the updated information. Management gives conflicting information and the supervisors don't stand by anything they tell you even if they gave it to you in writing.

For an insurance company, they have some of the worse health plans. We voiced our opinions about the desire for better health plans and to show how little they listen, our health plans got worse: we have very high deductibles and are being forced to use HSA's where the funds must build up in the account. Until then, we are responsible for ALL medical services. Of course we will be able to use fsa's but only for vision and dental...we can't even use it for prescriptions (it's limited because we will have a HSA).

Getting time off is hard to do because out of over 200 people, if 3 are already off, they can't possibly spare a 4th person to be off. I feel the calls are not evenly distributed among representatives when you have two different people taking the same types of calls and one person is getting back to back calls while the other is getting a call every 5-10 minutes.

Their systems (computers & phones) are HORRIBLE. And that UES survey!!!!! they don't even know how it truly works yet they allow the survey results to be used in our metrics which ultimately affect our bonuses, the opportunity to get a decent schedule & work from home. The UHC phone system is notorious for dropping calls....but with UES, the call disconnects from the representative & transfers the caller to the survey where the caller leaves a horrible rating for the representative even though that representative never actually got a chance to handle the call. 2 or more of the survey questions asked conflict with how we are told to do our jobs: it basically asks if we explained benefits in a way that they can understand it...however, we are told by management NEVER interpret the benefits..read benefits just as they are in the system (which is usually surrounded with a bunch of legal jargon that even us representatives don't understand). its a no win situation because if we go out on a limb and try to explain the benefit, we lose our bonus, get a bad schedule on the next shift bid, and if you are a work at home rep, you have to go into the office for 90days. if we do as told and read exactly what's in the system without interpreting the benefit for the caller, we get a bad survey...which results in loss of bonus,a bad schedule, and if you are a work at home rep, into the office you go for 90days. Originally we were told bad surveys would be reviewed by the individual supervisor or manager to determine if they are valid or actually belonged to that individual but that changed. Now, if you are unlucky enough to get a caller who likes you but is unsatisfied with UHC as a company...AND they clearly say in the survey message, "susie-q is a great representative but uhc is a horrible company and needs to do better", you are out of luck and stuck with that bad survey.

Boost employee morale. Be loyal to your employees and they will be loyal to you. Go back to the drawing board and be more realistic when figuring out how long it should take for a representative (on the phone) to handle an unlimited amount of requests for the providers that call. Re-establish the IDEAS committee so that the employees will have a voice and then LISTEN to that group of employees.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group