There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

I really enjoyed my staff, peers and leadership of the company. I loved my job.

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company mission statement, the integrity of the customer service, and the work ethics of the entry level to mid management employees. Salary, all other benefits except medical benefits.

Cons

The upper leadership was more worried about the stockholder and the board of directors then the employees that were making the company successful for the stockholders and board of directors. The company became too corporate like the banks are. The amount of money the top 10 employees of the company make way too much money, compared to their workers.

Advice to Management

When you cut the budget of the staff that is speaking to your customers year after year may end up being a mistake. When you have a team that 90% of the team is exceeding in all the goals of the department but because of the budget some of those staff members that have been there a long time do not get a merit increase is wrong. Especially when the ungodly amount of bonus the CEO received was publish in a newspaper that was sent around the entry level staff of the company. Yes he did what he said he was going to do in his 5 year plan, but some of that money could have gone to the employees that put up with all the changes and screw ups that got him there. Also you have business going off shore that I believe legally should not be going off shore. This may also come back to hurt this company which is too bad because it really was not a bad company to work for. I was laid off due to budget cuts which was a business decision that I understand. But I still have a lot of friends in the company and I do not want them impacted by this possible legal and ethical issue.

reviews filtered by

Great company with lots of opportunity for growth.

Former Employee - : Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - : Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My experience was great with this company.

Cons

Because it is a big company there are sometimes difficulty with turn over and change in upper management.

Advice to Management

Continue to share changes with employees.

"Churn and burn" is accurate label

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job.Telecommuting is allowed, depending on manager's preferences (this can vary, even within a small group).

Cons

Where to start? The company is good at buying other companies, but terrible at integrating them. Result: constant conflict on the department and individual level. We have archaic systems, and yet the company constantly brags about how innovative we are. Work/life balance is laughably nonexistent. Employees are poorly trained. I work in an area where documents are reviewed by numerous individuals, and few can handle Word or PDF documents. Responsibilities are poorly defined between groups, leaving considerable overlap, and employees often end up expressing opinion rather than contributing anything substantial. In my immediate group promotions go to friends of the director. Company has been on a cost-cutting binge for the past 5 years, so compensation is minimal. Health benefits are worse than the much smaller non-profit I came from. The office set-up is a huge cube farm. This makes for a very distracting environment. The company expresses very lofty corporate values, but they are completely aspiration. No consistency among members of work groups in how jobs are performed; this also leads to conflict and confusion in interacting with other work groups.