There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Recovery/Resolution Specialist in Franklin, TN
Current Employee - Senior Recovery/Resolution Specialist in Franklin, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they offer pretty good benefits

Cons

do not offer good raises or bonuses

Advice to Management

evaluate your pay increases and considered your employees for bonuses and not keep all the money for management

reviews filtered by

Lots of Changes

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The company itself has a great culture and great people.

Cons

Ever changing management, complete culture change after acquisition.

Advice to Management

More clarity in company direction and just exactly the company's role in the larger picture.

Optum: Well organized, very smart people, good environment; Disadvantages of Corporate.

Former Employee - Data Manager in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is well organized,focused on process and training improvements, and has one of the most intelligent groups of people I have ever worked with.

They also have one of the premier healthcare analytics products available, though it is unclear with Obamacare's mandated coverage how important this will continue to be.

Cons

With that said the culture is one of hard, high-quality work; and relatively comparatively ego-less support of coworkers toward the best outcome for the customer. In my 7 years there I could always find this or that little thing to complain about; but I was always treated with respect and there was never a time when I saw someone try to cast blame, or put someone down for other's benefit. That safety may not be ubiquitous throughout the company; but was certainly widespread in my working area. There was also a large push last year to focus of people keeping working hours at 40, which greatly benefited work life balance

Pay, and PTO seem about standard for the industry, and the industry is undervalued as a whole. Improving pay/benefits would make it easier for the company to keep top tier people. I worked remotely, and found that remote workers were not utilized fully or given the same opportunities in the company... Some of that may be endemic to the situation, but is still a major weakness.

Advice to Management

The part of the company where I worked also goes thru a reorganization and often layoffs -- which catch a lot of really good workers -- about every 10 to 16 months, often just as people finally get settled into the new processes, so these re-orgs cause a lot of wasted time and effort, and damages employee trust in upper management.
    It also tends to push people into thinking that if something doesn't work really well; just stick it out as the problem will be re-organized away after awhile, rather than them working harder and pushing back to make it work better.

The biggest areas that management needs to improve (aside from the typical pay / PTO / total compensation): There need to be fewer re-orgs; and rather than ramping up staffing then doing mass layoffs (which causes a lot of good people to leave in itself); the company should hire more slowly and take the effort to go thru the processes of culling, say, the lowest 10% performers individually, if that is the strategy they choose; they should also find and stick with an organizational strategy that works, then tweaking at the edges to make that work better.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group