UnitedHealth Group

www.unitedhealthgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

My experience with this company is neutral really.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

time off is great, work-life balance I would say is pretty good most of the time (except during crunch times)

Cons

I feel that the departments were cliquish and singled out employees that didn't conform to whatever standards they had, obsessed with numbers and statistics (which can be good and bad), managers will sometimes show favoritism, a lot of gossiping and interdepartmental dating. Also I believe that people "horded" information in order to get and stay ahead.

Make department information easily available (i.e. having the training department put up all training docs on a SharePoint or website so that all can obtain) including any new announcements, process', etc and making sure that employees that know a certain thing are sharing the information among the rest of the staff.

2333 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Stuck in a rut

Former Employee - Operational Trainer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Operational Trainer in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best PTO I've ever had. I was there for almost 5 years and would have maxed out at 36 days plus 10 paid holidays.

Cons

Pay, the ability to move within the company and benefits. I was an experienced trainer, yet my students were making more money than I was. When I tried to move within the company, I wouldn't even get a "thanks but no thanks". When I applied outside of UHG, my resume would be gobbled up and I would get tons of call backs.

If your employees wish to grow, help them.

Misleading but hanging in there.

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love what I do.
    I believe in what I do for members, customers, company.

Cons

Supervisors and Management : Rigid, inflexible and have no compassion - unless you are a friend.
    No real open door policy. Do not dare approach supervisors or management with issues in the "open door" policy; you will pay.
    Separate files on employees that are not in your HR file. One incident or supervisor note will follow you all the way through your position. Very sad.
    Supervisors and Management believe they are above reproach.
    Supervisors and Management rule by fear.
    HR is a joke - will not back the employee even if employee is correct-no recourse.
    Supervisors and Management do not know the job tasks of hourly employees but make decisions based on what they think will work or their perception of a task.
    Write ups are very common and stay in your file entire career there.
    Supervisors and Management hire family, best friends, friends of friends-no advancement.
    Positions are filled before the job is posted just because it is policy to post an open position (positions are given to "friends".
    Company touts the Code of Conduct and all its completeness but will use it against you when can.
    Constant flow of new employees to cover those who left; very sad.
    Your best friend, friend of a friend, relative should not be your boss.

Get rid of the favoritism (no more hiring friends, friends of friends, family. This should be a question on every position. You should not be able to report to a friend, family member, friends child, etc.

Supervisors and Management should be made to take sensitivity training and apply that or they are no longer fit to oversee employees. Walk the walk.

There should be a reviews of supervisors and management done on semi annual basis, anonymous (no employee ID or log in, nothing to identify the employee).

The annual review of company should be broken down into 5-year increments (this will allow company to see how the more senior employees are feeling). As well as the question of how you know your supervisor / manager (did you know your supervisor / manager before being hired in your current position)?

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group