There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Working at United Healthcare is very much like I would imagine assembly line work.

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The stability of the company is a plus, wages are good, the telecommuting is a very big plus. The staff are great to work with and most of the managers are there to help you.

Cons

Upper management is not real open to ideas. There is disconnect between the company values and the reality.

Advice to Management

Consider sitting with staff to understand what their job is or as a reminder if it is something you have done in the past. This will allow focus to be placed on what could benefit work flow and increase productivity. And stop selling the business concept to nurses we will never put business before caring for people.

reviews filtered by

Optum - Good company headed in the right direction.

Current Employee - Senior Process Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Process Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optum is a much looser culture than UHG. Lots of opportunity for training and growth. PTO starts around 23 days for most positions. Huge company that has many of opportunities.

Cons

Because it is such a large company and has grown through acquisition, the company is still very siloed. You will spend a considerable amount of time trying to figure out who needs to signoff on what and to identify stakeholders. However, Optum making strides to remedy this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Be prepared to work hard and long.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UHG pays its employees well. When I first started it was very accommodating when I requested time off. The equipment it issues is first class.

The last VP and director I worked for knew how to balance work and life outside of UHG. He did not overbook his team with meaningless projects.

Cons

UHG buys a lot of smaller companies. The employees from the smaller companies tend to form cliques. It was hard breaking into the cliques. The cliques have group think so if you are a new employee with new and diverse thoughts, it takes a while to be heard. If you want a promotion make friends fast. It's all about connections at UHG. But, the culture was slowly changing just before I left UHG.

Advice to Management

On paper UHG has great policies and culture. UHG has to make sure that all directors and managers embrace UHG's policies and culture. There is more to life than annual bonuses.