There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Pros used to outweigh the Cons, and now the Cons are just too big

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As many people have said, you will find some of the smartest, hardest working people at United. The pace is intense, frantic, and urgent at all times. The variety of jobs available, due to the size of United, is really great. I think there is great opportunity for people from supervisors through directors. Also, the company is doing well from a market perspective. I was also very satisfied with financial rewards for high performers. I was United's biggest champion for more than 10 years.

Cons

Above the director level, it is an old boys club. More concerning, over the past few years, I saw a culture of people being afraid to speak the truth to authority figures. At higher levels, people are now operating out of fear and self protection. United also has a strategy of pitting departments and companies against each other in competitions to try to get the best performance. I guess this isn't a con if you like that sort of thing. While it might work in the end result, it is really frustrating and inefficient if you're trying to get your job done.

If, and only if, you really want to know why things are inefficient or why certain things fail, ask the people doing the work and be open to the truth.

2068 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Went from good to the worst in a matter of 2 months with that Managed Long term care Services and Support MLTSS.

Former Employee - LTC/MLTSS Care Manager in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - LTC/MLTSS Care Manager in Edison, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home. Salary is ok

Cons

The director does not listen to employees concerns. No work life balance. They will change your position from what you were hired to do, without your input, The managers don't seem to know what they are doing. The bonus and raise are jokes.

Listen to your employees, the mentality of United healthcare has become, " do and don't ask why?"
    Reach out to your employees and talk to them, don't assume, communication is essential! don't get angry with your employees when they are feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Training for MLTSS was useless!

Nowhere but... sideways...

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting industry, and global reach. I really like the individuals I work with. It could be that Midwest charm, since they are based in Minneapolis.

Cons

Despite claiming to have a goal of promoting from within, they use many contractors, so in reality there are very little advancement opportunities (unless you leave the company to become a contractor).

Stop using contractors, you should truly try harder to promote from within.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group