There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Pros used to outweigh the Cons, and now the Cons are just too big

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As many people have said, you will find some of the smartest, hardest working people at United. The pace is intense, frantic, and urgent at all times. The variety of jobs available, due to the size of United, is really great. I think there is great opportunity for people from supervisors through directors. Also, the company is doing well from a market perspective. I was also very satisfied with financial rewards for high performers. I was United's biggest champion for more than 10 years.

Cons

Above the director level, it is an old boys club. More concerning, over the past few years, I saw a culture of people being afraid to speak the truth to authority figures. At higher levels, people are now operating out of fear and self protection. United also has a strategy of pitting departments and companies against each other in competitions to try to get the best performance. I guess this isn't a con if you like that sort of thing. While it might work in the end result, it is really frustrating and inefficient if you're trying to get your job done.

Advice to Management

If, and only if, you really want to know why things are inefficient or why certain things fail, ask the people doing the work and be open to the truth.

Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Don't Work in the Call Center

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at UnitedHealth Group is the pay.

Cons

Poor work life balance in the call centers. You have metrics that are hard to meet unless your cutting corners doing your job. Internal employees have a hard time getting internal jobs, a co-worker was told she wasn't offered a second interview for a position because the process for transfer internal employees is to long and that they needed to fill the position fast. They also hire management in the call center that lack poor leadership skills. Senior management makes decision that are out of line with how the customer service department works, for example we can only work 2 hours of overtime per day (management claims they made the change for better work life balance) but some people in the call center work 4 ten hour shifts and then overtime is added to their schedules. So I ask you were is the work life balance for a person that works that shift, you could be working anywhere from 10.5-12 hours a day. Don't get me started on the culture and values, they don't exist in the call center. The company pushes compassion but will give you an occurrence if you miss a day to go volunteer, but other departments can volunteer during there normal shift. Once again call center employees are treated like SECOND CLASS CITIZENS with this company. I would recommend this company to a friend but not a job in the call center. BEWARE!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Please revamp your work life balance policy in the call centers, and hire more experienced supervisors in the call center, and make it easier for current employees to transfer internal positions, and PLEASE STOP TREATING THE CALL CENTER EMPLOYEES LIKE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS.

A company that only cares about the bottom line, not their employees, nor customers.

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the positions allow you to work from home.

Cons

No employee appreciation, micro-managers, expected to work overtime all the time, they hire from outside the company for all upper management positions.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings.