UnitedHealth Group

Good place to start

Current Employee - Client Manager in Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Client Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Flexible work schedule - fast paced, ever changing landscape - exposure to senior management - great networking opportunity - career advancement

Cons

Salary low for what is required - Communication between cross functional businesses is poor -

Better raises will retain high performers - Increase bonus

2170 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

REVOLVING DOOR

Former Employee - Database Analyst (Independent Contractor) in West Valley, UT
    Former Employee - Database Analyst (Independent Contractor) in West Valley, UT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Co-workers were pleasant enough, office had a nice view.

Cons

BACKGROUND: As an expert database manager and analyst with a dozen years experience serving some of the top corporations in the nation - I was brought in by Ingenix to help validate their database of client companies - easily numbering in the many tens of thousands. My end of the 6-12 month project would require verifying Parent Company associations - by any means of internet research possible.

To help you understand the importance and complexity of my end of the project - Ingenix had contracted to pay roughly $12,000 per month for my professional services.

There was no set method of research. Ingenix described the job as "highly ambiguous". It was essentially looking for needles in haystacks - but, Ingenix couldn't even tell where the haystacks were. They are in the middle of database migration - and their database has been contaminated by errant and outdated information.

REQUIREMENTS: Learn three fairly complex software programs from scratch, learn how to apply these programs to Ingenix's project needs. Again, there was no "official" way to conduct the research - it was locating random company associations from random internet sources ranging from corporate websites to business directories to business news blurbs.

TRAINING: No project trainer onsite. Training was conducting via telephone and desktop sharing from 2,000 miles away - I kid you not!

RESULT: A mere TEN DAYS into the assignment (while my colleague and I were still receiving training) - I get a phone call from the Project Manager (again, from 2,000 miles away) - ending my services on the grounds that I wasn't "getting it quick enough". NO advanced warning, nor indication that anything was amiss in their minds. NOTHING.

"Not getting it"? I'd done database analysis for Boeing 747 jet aircraft! This was a sick joke. Ingenix brings in a professional to do a professional's job - and then treats him with the disregard too often afforded an entry-level file clerk. I have been a project manager, so it is not with some level of expertise that I assert - this project manager was operating outside of her element.

CONCLUSION: Ingenix turns Unrealistic Expectations into an artform. They create a database disaster - then they expect a professional analyst to come in, learn three software programs and the complex tasks of the job - in 10 days - with training via telephone from 2,000 miles away.

If you are considering a career move, ask yourself this: "How well would I fare at Ingenix, given the same paradigm?". I looked up the word INGENIX in a Greek lexicon. It means "Revolving Door".

Ingenix falls into the same thistle bush that seems to entangle more and more American corporations these days. Rather than planning long-range and staying the course - knowing they will save money over the length of the project - they "play" to the accountants, whose bulging, bloodshot eyes pour over data for ten ways to save the company two cents upfront.

Your demand of an instant return on your investment - leads you to release the expert you placed your confidence in only 10 days previously. You scurry to find a reasonably experienced replacement - who of course, will be doing it for less money. Hey, you get what you pay for. I can find you a monkey. He can't do the job at all - but, you only have to pay him in bananas.

You’ll give the replacement 10 days to train. Now you've put your project another month behind schedule (more, if the replacement can’t meet your expectations, either) - which makes YOU, the Project Manager, look like an incompetent boob to your superiors - as it should.

Had you simply made more than a minimal investment in the training of your independent expert - you would have saved thousands of dollars in time lost - upfront. At project's end, you would reap the reward of having stayed the course with a professional who helped commandeer more challenging projects than this - UNDER deadline.

This is simple COMMON SENSE aka "Project Management 101". Why is it so difficult for you young bucks to understand that which is so obvious to us "old school" business professionals?

Run Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Cafeteria onsite, of course you will never have time to sit and eat there. Bright coworkers.

Cons

I should have paid attention to comments about UHC when I got the job offer. I see from salary listings here that they lied when they said they were putting me in at the top of the pay scale. I was recruited to replace my immediate supervisor without their telling him. A small but notable illustration of how things work there.

Big brother atmosphere is crushing to any initiative or creativity.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group