There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

The people are great, the policies leave a lot to be desired.

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Salary and compensation is market competitive if not better. I am given the tools I need to excel in my job. My specific manager is a very hands-off, anti micro management person, and lots of other coworkers of my pay grade report the same thing with their managers. The benefits package is the best I have ever received in either contract/consulting or FTE positions. MY manager is always willing to be flexible with scheduling when situations arise caring for my special needs son. My coworkers are pleasant and respectful, and there is a mutual willingness to help out when problems arise for myself or others.

Cons

The size of the company necessitates an inordinate amount of compartmentalization. This makes larger problems that are out of my realm of influence, often difficult to resolve. It also removes ANY need for pragmatism in the workplace. You do the letter of your job duties, whether they are needed or not. It isn't up to you to decide what needs to be done, it is only up to you do do what you are told. I have often had to do things that were completely unnecessary because it wasn't my place to say "do we REALLY need to do this in this situation?" The answer always comes back to "corporate security policy states you need to, no matter what, in every case without fail, so do it".

Advice to Management

I have no feedback at this time

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you can avoid looking at the "bigger picture" it's an okay place to work.

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

It's a stable job. Good benefits. I feel like I'm paid well to do what I do. Regular hours (overtime is very rare; almost never have to work weekends). My team is terrific. Well qualified people who get along, treat each other with respect, and have a good time working. I've talked to a lot of people in the organization, and everyone seems to think the same thing: good people to work with, friendly environment. The caveat being that many of the people I work with are sweet, decent, friendly and courteous; but are totally incompetent at doing the job.

Cons

It's a tough place to work, if you have a soul. It's obvious that health care is a big huge deal in this country. The fact that it keeps going out of the price range of the average citizen. You see a lot of waste and greed at the company. Not to mention that there are people in sales and upper management that get a ton of ridiculous perks. Communication from upper management to the great unwashed masses is often muddled, condescending, and loaded with double-speak. And the honest, horrible, nitty gritty? Apparently, no one in the building knows how to flush a toilet.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality. Let people who know their jobs, do their jobs. Manage in such a way that promotes transparency, responsiveness and accountability.

2. Good start up place to work with good Paid time off

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

I get fair amount of paid time off as the first year employee. I am able to flex my working hour and get comps days. In general, it is a good start-up job with some training on the job if you are lucky to have a knowledgeable manager who is willing to teach.

Cons

There may be a lot of urgent projects and you are given a limited time to finish them. Maybe a little stressful.

Advice to Management

Need more feedbacks on employee's performance and recognition. Want to know more about the direction where the company is going