There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Getting better, but still a ways to go!

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - Finance Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

UHG offers a good PTO program in that most jobs start with 23 days a year. The downside is that if you leave the company you don't get paid out for your PTO time accrued, however if you have used more than accrued you pay the company. Seems a little one-sided to me. The other thing I like about UHG is that there are always plenty of advancement opportunities within the company. They are sometimes hard to get because you are competing with other internal and external candidates.

Cons

Work/Life balance has not always been a priority, but it is getting better. Our medical benefits are less than desirable. Charge me a little more for good coverage and I'll gladly pay it. Wearing a "choke collar" all day is a thing of the past for people that sit in a cubicle all day.

Create an environment that encourges employee involvement and allow employees to make a mistake once in a while. It will yield engaged employees that take pride and ownership in what they do.

1996 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

The people are great, the policies leave a lot to be desired.

Current Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Salary and compensation is market competitive if not better. I am given the tools I need to excel in my job. My specific manager is a very hands-off, anti micro management person, and lots of other coworkers of my pay grade report the same thing with their managers. The benefits package is the best I have ever received in either contract/consulting or FTE positions. MY manager is always willing to be flexible with scheduling when situations arise caring for my special needs son. My coworkers are pleasant and respectful, and there is a mutual willingness to help out when problems arise for myself or others.

Cons

The size of the company necessitates an inordinate amount of compartmentalization. This makes larger problems that are out of my realm of influence, often difficult to resolve. It also removes ANY need for pragmatism in the workplace. You do the letter of your job duties, whether they are needed or not. It isn't up to you to decide what needs to be done, it is only up to you do do what you are told. I have often had to do things that were completely unnecessary because it wasn't my place to say "do we REALLY need to do this in this situation?" The answer always comes back to "corporate security policy states you need to, no matter what, in every case without fail, so do it".

I have no feedback at this time

A good company with a solid offer for employees

Current Employee - Claims Processor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Decent Wages, Flexible hours, and very good insurence. Ten holiday a year. 3 weeks PTO to for new hires. The work is work and as such not terribly enjoyable but the benifits more then make up for it. They even have a program to let employees who meet certain standards work from home.

Cons

Very demanding goals. Most of them are reasonalbe but a few seem to be stricter then is neccessary.

I think for the most part things are heading in the right direction. They care about there customers opinions. The have high standards for there employees but most are not unreasonable. They have a fairly comprehensive training style that combines a class like atmosphere and on the job training.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!