Unitrin

www.kempercorporation.com
  www.kempercorporation.com
There are newer employer reviews for Unitrin

Good leadership and great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Unitrin

Pros

The way they treat their employees. Always receptive to new ideas and willing to listen. Lots of employees have been at the company for over 15 years which speaks well of an insurance company. Every attempt is made to keep company morale high and to encourage employees to succeed. Recognition of acheivement both financial and non-financial. Management truly cares about their employees and encourages innovation.

Cons

Repetive work which is not challenging. However, this is true of the industry. It's not easy to make insurance an exciting field.

Be judicious. GIve employees the tools to do their jobs to their best ability.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Unitrin (View Most Recent)

If all you want is a paycheck go for it, otherwise avoid.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Unitrin

Pros

Company makes money, good work life balance (depending on department), most of the employees are nice. A good number of the employees are very competent.

Cons

Too static, no opportunities for advancement. The President of my division suggested people who were unhappy with our health benefits should examine welfare as an alternative! Management is clueless about how to run a business, the thought you could cut the pay of the sales force and get them to perform better, didn't work, most of them quit. Even with rising unemployment we are unable to fill sales positions. Our product pricing model depends on the shortcomings of the financially illiterate.

You are in over your head. You can't reduce the price (pay) and expect the quality/quantity supplied to increase. If it did you would have disproven the last 300 years of economic theory. The IT department is a joke, we are a good 5 years behind the rest of the world.

A mixed bag.

Former Employee - Web Applications Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Web Applications Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Unitrin

Pros

Flexible schedule if you work for the right person. Company seems to be pretty stable, during the last recession there were no layoffs. Collaboration between departments is encouraged. The company is fairly generous with time off. In the technology department, there is an effort made to advance to newer technology, but this isn't supported as much by management as it could be.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations regarding compensation - salaries are pretty low in the technology department compared to what other players in this space are doing. There's a lot of politics in the organization and quite an interesting list of "whos sleeping with who".

Don't make promises you can't keep.

There are newer employer reviews for Unitrin