There are newer employer reviews for Unity Technologies

It was good, but could have been so much better.

Current Employee - Channel Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Channel Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros are friendly people, a great CEO, smart people, good lunches, nice conferences, good travel support.

Cons

Politics now need to be managed better as the company is growing so fast and inter and intra group dynamics could be nicer. The sales team folks are set up to compete against each other and the channels - which is a bit bizarre.

There is also no process for career development or job sharing across divisions to stimulate employee growth. Management from overseas occasionally tries to manage directly, but does not understand the nitty-gritty of the dog eat dog sales world the employees on the sales team live with and manage every day.

The vision of the company and it's investors, and tactics to reach the vision is too short term for most of their business development managers to get the deals the company needs longer term (after 3-5 years out).

Clean up your sales team asap as it's unbalanced with weak, but aggressive commission focused, inexperienced people on one side, but with stellar biz dev folks who are being kept behind the race horse gate on the other side. Move all sales management to SF, to avoid unnecessary miscommunication which runs rampant thru the various sales and marketing teams.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Unity Technologies (View Most Recent)

Opportunities to do big things and grow your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been full-time at Unity for a few years now. Unity is a great place to work when it comes to working with some of the most talented people and getting the opportunities to actually make a difference in something big. It's also a great place to grow your career (but you need to know where to look for the opportunities to do so and how to do it). Work-life balance is generally good. Employees generally seem to be happy overall and the Copenhagen office is full of employees who are friends outside of the office. There is (from what I can tell) a lot of respect for the engineering team and it seems this far along the company is still (mostly) an engineering and product-based company. It seems like working at Unity becomes part of your identity, which is cool. The culture is not the same as it was a few years ago, but I think that they have done a good job of maintaining what they could when the company has grown to 500 people.

Cons

Lack of software development experience/discipline from some senior people in R&D really shows when it comes to discipline and planning for R&D as a whole (this seems to be slowly getting better in some areas, but S...L...O...W...L...Y). Unity seems to have similar problems with planning and timeline as other big software organisations do (but they seem to be trying to take steps to improve the situation).

Benefits for Copenhagen office don't seem so good for Denmark. The pay seems below average for software companies in Copenhagen and the compensation paid out during time off for paternity/maternity leave is quite bad, IMO, certainly not as good as what many other private companies in Copenhagen offer.

Remember to follow-through on pledges to make changes and keep remembering that good ideas can come from anywhere. Fix the organisation of your R&D teams (the Copenhagen part seems really well-organised into teams and responsibilities with a lead as a contact point, but the rest is a zoo). Keep valuing individuals and open-communication and most importantly stay an engineering and product-based company. Be careful about growing too fast.

The best company I have worked for by a long shot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredibly friendly environment - It seems to be part of Unity's hiring policy that you can only get a job here if you are not only great at what you do, but are also a nice and friendly person. I can honestly say I have not met anyone here who I really don't get on with.
    Interesting work - The work I do is always interesting and varied. I couldn't ask to do something I wanted more really.
    Relaxed work ethic - I don't know if I speak for every team in the company (I think I do) but there is a feeling of get the work done and everything is okay. As a result time working is fairly flexible.
    Benefits - Occasionally my job calls for travel and this always makes for an interesting and pleasant experience. We also have perks such as Beer Fridays where in the afternoon on Fridays some beers are bought for us and we have a PS3 in the office for those that choose to use it.

Cons

Pay - I am paid enough to survive and be fairly comfortable. However, if I was to join another company doing a similar job, I'd probably be paid a little more.
    Benefits - As the company grows, the opportunity for travel lessens. It used to be that everyone in the company would attend the Unite company conference once a year but as of 2013 this is not the case any more. In fact, I believe less than a third of employees were able to attend this year. I understand this is a function of the company getting larger but nevertheless it is a benefit that is gradually being taken away. With regards to normal benefits such as pension, stock options and others. The UK office currently have none whereas the rest of the world do. This however is being rectified as we have been told we will be getting some benefits soon.

I have written more in Cons than Pros. This is not an accurate reflection of how I feel about this company. It's an amazing company. My advice would be to make sure you are looking after your employees. Whilst I really love working here. If I ever want to get really serious about my future (having a pension, buying a house, etc) pay and benefits will become more important.

There are newer employer reviews for Unity Technologies