Unity Technologies

www.unity3d.com

It was good, but could have been so much better.

Current Employee - Channel Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Channel Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Pros are friendly people, a great CEO, smart people, good lunches, nice conferences, good travel support.

Cons

Politics now need to be managed better as the company is growing so fast and inter and intra group dynamics could be nicer. The sales team folks are set up to compete against each other and the channels - which is a bit bizarre.

There is also no process for career development or job sharing across divisions to stimulate employee growth. Management from overseas occasionally tries to manage directly, but does not understand the nitty-gritty of the dog eat dog sales world the employees on the sales team live with and manage every day.

The vision of the company and it's investors, and tactics to reach the vision is too short term for most of their business development managers to get the deals the company needs longer term (after 3-5 years out).

Clean up your sales team asap as it's unbalanced with weak, but aggressive commission focused, inexperienced people on one side, but with stellar biz dev folks who are being kept behind the race horse gate on the other side. Move all sales management to SF, to avoid unnecessary miscommunication which runs rampant thru the various sales and marketing teams.

Other reviews for Unity Technologies

The best company I have worked for by a long shot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Pros

Incredibly friendly environment - It seems to be part of Unity's hiring policy that you can only get a job here if you are not only great at what you do, but are also a nice and friendly person. I can honestly say I have not met anyone here who I really don't get on with.
    Interesting work - The work I do is always interesting and varied. I couldn't ask to do something I wanted more really.
    Relaxed work ethic - I don't know if I speak for every team in the company (I think I do) but there is a feeling of get the work done and everything is okay. As a result time working is fairly flexible.
    Benefits - Occasionally my job calls for travel and this always makes for an interesting and pleasant experience. We also have perks such as Beer Fridays where in the afternoon on Fridays some beers are bought for us and we have a PS3 in the office for those that choose to use it.

Cons

Pay - I am paid enough to survive and be fairly comfortable. However, if I was to join another company doing a similar job, I'd probably be paid a little more.
    Benefits - As the company grows, the opportunity for travel lessens. It used to be that everyone in the company would attend the Unite company conference once a year but as of 2013 this is not the case any more. In fact, I believe less than a third of employees were able to attend this year. I understand this is a function of the company getting larger but nevertheless it is a benefit that is gradually being taken away. With regards to normal benefits such as pension, stock options and others. The UK office currently have none whereas the rest of the world do. This however is being rectified as we have been told we will be getting some benefits soon.

I have written more in Cons than Pros. This is not an accurate reflection of how I feel about this company. It's an amazing company. My advice would be to make sure you are looking after your employees. Whilst I really love working here. If I ever want to get really serious about my future (having a pension, buying a house, etc) pay and benefits will become more important.

If you love Unity, work in the Denmark office.

Pros

The Copenhagen office is an excellent place for engineers to solve extremely hard problems and rub shoulders with some of the most talented 3D and games programmers in the world.

Cons

Unity the company is not always well organized in my experience. The different offices have very different cultures and specialties, so if you apply here, choose your office wisely.

Cheers.

There are newer employer reviews for Unity Technologies.

Worked for Unity Technologies? Contribute to the Community!