Univar

There are newer employer reviews for Univar

Could be great...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Univar full-time

Pros

Awesome people work for Univar. The large organization offers opportunities for advancement and career development, particularly if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Some upper management is out of touch with the rest of the workforce. Lack of organization of large projects causes chaos, stress and massive overtime. Often hear about "budget cuts" preventing anything more than a tiny annual increase, while seeing massive unnecessary spending in other areas.

Learn more about how "the rest of us" feel about how things are going with the company, projects, etc. You may be surprised at the amount of unhappiness. This is a good company that could be great with a little more communication between upper management and the rest of the workforce.

132 Other Employee Reviews for Univar (View Most Recent)

Like working in a madhouse

Current Employee - BIS Leader in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - BIS Leader in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Univar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Competitive salary
    Bonus that is actually paid out
    Company is attempting to change, becoming more process-oriented with modern systems

Cons

Company culture has become fairly toxic. Most people are unhappy, and those who are laid off seem to be relieved. BIS (IT) management in particular is very shortsighted, and don't seem to be operating in reality (i.e. don't acknowledge how long it takes and how many resources to deliver major projects). Functional leadership is very political, and the average employee can got caught in the crosshairs.

Stay far far away from this company for now, maybe the new CEO will make some positive changes.

Dysfunctional management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Univar full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits, decent bonus structure

Cons

Lack of leadership on the BIS side. The absence of requirements gathering leads to much rework. New managers receive little to no training which results in micromanagement and frustration, e.g., Direction is given in the form of "I don't know what I want but I"ll know it when I see it." Business owners are not included in IT risk activities, the stated perception is that they would not understand and why confuse them. It's a bizarre work environment where highly paid professionals are treated like kindergartners who must be watched at all times.

Hold confidential interviews with your BIS employees. Ask what their managers are doing and how they oversee employees. It is not appropriate to treat professionals like children e.g., proof their emails, go over office etiquette with them, ask what they talked about when two or more team members are seen together, and insist on managing all team member calendars, sometimes attending meetings with them, or insisting on "practice" meetings if another member of management might be in the meeting. This is strange and demoralizing.

There are newer employer reviews for Univar