Universal Health Services

www.uhsinc.com

Perspective of an RN: Most days I feel I must put my license on the line to meet the needs/provide basic patient care.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsAvailable overtime for those who need it, Varying shift options to meet most schedules, Generous shift diff, Decent health insurance for a long time (BCBS) but recently switched to United Health Care in many hospitals which may soon becom a "con". Opportunity to relocate. Flexible schedule for nurses when time off or schedule change is needed. Friendly staff for the most part and taff works together well as a team most of the time. Ideal location and nice campus- Grounds as a whole have the potential to look much nicer and add amenities that would make it a more desirable place to choose. FSA Account, Vision, Dental, decent benefits options (though would expect a company of this size to contribute more).

ConsPoor hospital management- cares more about filling beds than if it is safe to do so, dangerously high nurse-to-patient ratios, Dangerously short staffing total number (lacking a sufficient number of both nurses and technicians), Very high turnover. Lack of supplies and equipment to properly and safely do your job, Poor technology utilization- Most floors do not even have a computer. All nursing paperwork must be written by hand on every patient. Not even a computer to use a a resource (medications, patient care info, looking up phone numbers, etc.) Very poor investment in employees such as advancement, certifications, education. No reimbursement for things the company/hospital could benefit from (TB certification, board certification in specialized areas, continuing education, ACLS/PALS, etc. Accepts high acuity patients but does not prepare staff to care for them with neither skills nor adequate medical equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow the people who are taking care of the patients and providing the direct services that you value them. It just seems like ever since we got bought out by UHS, any and every motivating factor has been cut-- double-time on holidays for nurses, bonuses based on time with company, decent raises. At the same time we are pushed to do more in less time and complete impossible tasks. We have to sacrifice between patient care and losing a job over certain documentation procedures and unsafe staffing practices.

Micro-management and CYA

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros: -Good leadership training programs, if you are made aware of them and given the… Cons: -Extremely poor benefits if you are not in a state with a UHS hospital -Upper management micro-manages from across the… Advice to Senior Management: Learn to trust your facilities. There is no point in having "managing/director" level postiions at facilities if… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

I will leaving UHS to identify a better more sustainable position

Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Pros: They are not overly reactive in their management apporach Cons: They expect too much time and financial results No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Universal Health Services.

Worked for Universal Health Services? Contribute to the Community!