Universal Hospital

www.uhs.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Hospital

WAS a great place to work

Current Employee - Corp Employee in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Corp Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Universal Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not much here. In today's economy, steady employment is the biggest pro, and I have been here for 13+ years.

Cons

No career path for those that are not in the "new normal" for UHS. New normal for men is GQ and for women is stylish clothes. If you like to work at corp and LOVE meetings.this is the place for you. Like many growing companies, they have bought into the "lets have a meeting" to find out what needs to be done.

So much time wasted at corp. So little understanding of what the top priority in the District is.

78 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Hospital (View Most Recent)

Implementation / Support / Training Specialist

Former Employee - InCare Training Specialist in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - InCare Training Specialist in Edina, MN

I worked at Universal Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel was nice, they make it pretty simple to book your own flights / hotels. The physical technology they used was pretty good. The yearly review system in place is good on paper, but is never actually implemented. Most of the senior (worked there for more than 10-15 years) staff are very nice and easy to get along with. I think that the chief executives are very smart but suffer from lazy senior level managements inability to present relevant or current business metrics to drive better decisions. The IS help desk has some really great employees who are definitely undervalued and often taken for granted.

Cons

People are promoted based on current social graces rather than documented performance. Gossip will definitely be a factor in your review process whether it's true or false. They hire people that "know a guy" rather than people who have experience or technical aptitude. On the sales side, I saw several people get hired based on looks and were completely incompetent. They use extremely out-dated software which causes horrific billing errors resulting in long hours during the beginning of every month which leads to customer dissatisfaction / confusion. Salary is not competitive in anyway with similar jobs at smaller companies. Once you've fallen from your groups social graces, you will experience the cliche` "we'll track everything you do until we have enough to get rid of you" method. That whole aspect makes me think of my high school years, I would often leave work thinking "am I in high school!?" On several occasions, I witnessed employee's commit acts that would have resulted in immediate termination at every other employer I've worked for. Yet one of these people were promoted because of social status and the ability to divert or avoid blame. This person was eventually terminated because someone directly below the incompetent VP stepped in. My position had absolutely no career path, and no matter how hard I worked I would only receive the lowest pay increase. This was consistent with everyone on my team, as the VP had to slice the pie up in a way that most the available funds would go to whomever was in the VP's social graces at the time of yearly review.

My experience with the VP I reported to was something I will never forget. This person clearly demonstrated a lack of leadership and moral ethics. Allowed emotion to determine almost every decision made. Passed judgement based on anything but facts. Had a flagrant disregard for any form of disciplined business guidelines and typically resorted to using fear rather than positive or neutral reinforcement. This created a "walk on egg shells" situation in which new people didn't know, but senior people would be quiet and avoid this person at all cost. This person also took field directors idea's and presented them in executive meetings as if it were their own. Mean while the field director not working at the corporate office would be unaware. Would also pass blame should the idea's not work out to the unsuspecting field directors who would be completely blind sided. This cascaded the fear down outside the corporate office. I would like to be clear that at the time of this review, this person was still in charge of the entire IT / Software Training / Implementation / Customer Support department. My advice to this person is to take a step back; think about your early years as an employee. Put yourself in the shoes of the people who report to you. Stop using emotion to pass judgement, instead use facts, and physical evidence. Open your eyes to new idea's, understand that you are in charge of TECHNOLOGY and it is growing out of control. If you don't get yourself in check you will be replaced, I promise. I have no advice for the people reporting to the VP, they know what they are dealing with and they know to simply do as they are told.

District Operations Supervisor,...

Former Employee - District Operations Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - District Operations Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Universal Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great field to be in, a genuine feeling of helping people in need.

Cons

Company cares little for its employees, personnel that are directors and higher have no clue what is going on at the district offices, and district managers treat the staff poorly to help themselves look better and move up the food chain.

Realize that you people are your business and the district managers are leading in a dictatorship fashion.

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Hospital