There are newer employer reviews for Universal Hospital

Overworked, Under Trained, and VERY Under Paid!

Former Employee - Laser Tech in Kansas City, KS
Former Employee - Laser Tech in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Universal Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security is there. I would rarely work less than 55 hours per week.

Cons

VERY UNDER PAID! The KC division was never reevaluated after the MSL and UHS merger. Job duties probably increased 30% and pay was never adjusted to suit. Techs in the west coast division were apparently making 2 times as much before merger. Raises were also frozen after the merger due to unknown reasons. OVER WORKED! Due to the lack of respectful pay, turnover rate was insane! I was there just under a year and were were at least 2 techs short. That caused some multiple 70 hour weeks. That did not include the 16 to 24 hours of unpaid time in hotel rooms away from your family. Your company phone was always ringing and you were expected to jump at their orders. UNSAFE! What lead me to leave the company was an event that happened at least 6 times that I could recall. The last one that drove me to walk away was a Thursday/Friday. Mind you, I was nearly to my 40 Hours before that Thursday. I put in 37 hours between my Thursday and Friday with only 6 hours of rest in my hotel room. I know truckers have drivers logs that don't allow them to be worked like that. This company, has no such thing. They are free to have you in Oklahoma City working one day, and then sent to Omaha to work the entire next day. Management will walk away from these conversations as well. They are making good money off your blood, sweat, and tears. I won't even get into training.

Advice to Management

From all the cons I shared...if the pay was even $5 more an hour, I wouldn't have been able to leave. Pay people their worth, and you will develop people who will make careers with you. If not, they will move along as soon as they have more than one career deal breaker....even if the job market is awful.

Other Employee Reviews for Universal Hospital

WAS a great place to work

Current Employee - Corp Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corp Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Universal Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not much here. In today's economy, steady employment is the biggest pro, and I have been here for 13+ years.

Cons

No career path for those that are not in the "new normal" for UHS. New normal for men is GQ and for women is stylish clothes. If you like to work at corp and LOVE meetings.this is the place for you. Like many growing companies, they have bought into the "lets have a meeting" to find out what needs to be done.

Advice to Management

So much time wasted at corp. So little understanding of what the top priority in the District is.

Implementation / Support / Training Specialist

Former Employee - InCare Training Specialist in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - InCare Training Specialist in Edina, MN

I worked at Universal Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel was nice, they make it pretty simple to book your own flights / hotels. The physical technology they used was pretty good. The yearly review system in place is good on paper, but is never actually implemented. Most of the senior (worked there for more than 10-15 years) staff are very nice and easy to get along with. I think that the chief executives are very smart but suffer from lazy senior level managements inability to present relevant or current business metrics to drive better decisions. The IS help desk has some really great employees who are definitely undervalued and often taken for granted.

Cons

People are promoted based on current social graces rather than documented performance. Gossip will definitely be a factor in your review process whether it's true or false. They hire people that "know a guy" rather than people who have experience or technical aptitude. On the sales side, I saw several people get hired based on looks and were completely incompetent. They use extremely out-dated software which causes horrific billing errors resulting in long hours during the beginning of every month which leads to customer dissatisfaction / confusion. Salary is not competitive in anyway with similar jobs at smaller companies. Once you've fallen from your groups social graces, you will experience the cliche` "we'll track everything you do until we have enough to get rid of you" method. That whole aspect makes me think of my high school years, I would often leave work thinking "am I in high school!?" On several occasions, I witnessed employee's commit acts that would have resulted in immediate termination at every other employer I've worked for. Yet one of these people were promoted because of social status and the ability to divert or avoid blame. This person was eventually terminated because someone directly below the incompetent VP stepped in. My position had absolutely no career path, and no matter how hard I worked I would only receive the lowest pay increase. This was consistent with everyone on my team, as the VP had to slice the pie up in a way that most the available funds would go to whomever was in the VP's social graces at the time of yearly review.

Advice to Management

My experience with the VP I reported to was something I will never forget. This person clearly demonstrated a lack of leadership and moral ethics. Allowed emotion to determine almost every decision made. Passed judgement based on anything but facts. Had a flagrant disregard for any form of disciplined business guidelines and typically resorted to using fear rather than positive or neutral reinforcement. This created a "walk on egg shells" situation in which new people didn't know, but senior people would be quiet and avoid this person at all cost. This person also took field directors idea's and presented them in executive meetings as if it were their own. Mean while the field director not working at the corporate office would be unaware. Would also pass blame should the idea's not work out to the unsuspecting field directors who would be completely blind sided. This cascaded the fear down outside the corporate office. I would like to be clear that at the time of this review, this person was still in charge of the entire IT / Software Training / Implementation / Customer Support department. My advice to this person is to take a step back; think about your early years as an employee. Put yourself in the shoes of the people who report to you. Stop using emotion to pass judgement, instead use facts, and physical evidence. Open your eyes to new idea's, understand that you are in charge of TECHNOLOGY and it is growing out of control. If you don't get yourself in check you will be replaced, I promise. I have no advice for the people reporting to the VP, they know what they are dealing with and they know to simply do as they are told.