www.uhs.com
  www.uhs.com
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Hospital

Current Employee - Cst
Current Employee - Cst

I have been working at Universal Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of hours available with overtime

Cons

Lack of Mid Management acountability

63 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Hospital (View Most Recent)

Hostile work environment with poor upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Universal Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since the company has a diverse product offering most jobs at UHS seems to be pretty dynamic. They offer a good learning experience with potential of advancement if you make the right friends. I realized after I left how much I had learned from all the great people I worked with.

Cons

Upper management is very out of touch, rude and has little or no regard to 99% of the staff. Most managers are only concerned with their success rather than helping their direct reports.
    One VP seems to run the most hostile department in the company. He has been hit with a few lawsuits for creating a threatening or hostile work environment. All the directors under him use the same behavioral methods. Treating people just as unfair or poorly as their superior treats them.

Another VP has a very backwards way of dealing with everything. For a few poor performing employees it seemed like she was trying to "drive them out" rather than coaching or simply firing them. She has told employees how dumb or unfeasible their ideas where then implemented them as her own six months later.

Most departments are overworked. Some working 10 – 12 hour days with no empathy or flexibility from their manager.

Upper management has an obvious favorite list. There is very little teamwork among teams, no cohesion between departments, and no help from upper management. Most meetings were about calling out mistakes rather than coming up with actionable ways to avoid them in the future. It's a fend-for-yourself type of environment. If you are not on the "hot" list you are on a fast track of going nowhere. The company is toxic.

Take some time to fully understand why people keep leaving. I don’t mean have a third party person give a 5 minute exit interview. I mean fully explore the reasons then take all those reasons seriously and act on the source of the problem. Even if it means making those hard and unexpected decisions.

Take time to really invest in your new and up and coming managers. There are smart people that get well deserved promotions but fail because they have no good mentors to teach them how to effectively manage.

Take more stock in the good people. They are leaving everyday with the knowledge you will never get back.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Universal Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

UHS is a big company with a small business approach. Great people, great company. Love everything about UHS.

Cons

Nothing I do not like.

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Hospital