There are newer employer reviews for Universal Laser Systems

Company has potential, but odds of it being reached under current structure are slim.

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Current employees in general are pleasant to work with. Fun company and product. Generally a low stress environment. Unusual to have to work more than 40 hrs a week in most positions.

Cons

Very little room for promotion or professional growth. Benefits are minimal; average health care and no retirement programs (401k, etc). Salary is not higher to compensate for this, in fact, it is considerably lower for equivalent positions elsewhere. Salary program based on company performance is also nonsensical for certain positions.
Management structure, direction, accountability, and capability are often laughable at best. High quality employees are often brought in, but then completely stifled and allowed no freedom or decision making capability in their areas of expertise. This quickly leads to frustration and a high turn-around rate in most departments. Unfortunately these short-comings are systemic and not limited to a small portion of the company. There are some bright spots, but not many.
Company has potential, but unless major changes in culture are made, they will not be realized.

Advice to Management

Accountability. Clear direction and follow through; projects often muddled and constantly changing direction; stop dropping projects half-way to fruition and just finish something. If no promotions, raises, etc to occur, some recognition and thanks would go a long way toward making current employees feel appreciated.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Crazy Micromanagement

I have been working at Universal Laser Systems

Pros

Location is nice. Facility is nice.

Cons

Employees are given neither direction nor authority.

2. Account Manager

Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Universal Laser Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always enjoyed my time at Universal Laser. I would go back to work there in a second. Compared to other companies for whom I have worked, the environment was laid back. I found the senior management pretty approachable on a one to one basis and always felt like my ideas would at least be considered. I realize I can't always be right, but I never thought it fair for others to play armchair quarterback and dispute every decision made at the company. I read the company started in a garage and has grown pretty well since then and seems to have glowingly survived the economic crash. I think a few bad decisions will happen, but by and large it is obvious some pretty good decisions have been made as well.

Cons

It sickens me to see that people have taken to this forum to tell a one sided, jaded story with what seems like little understanding of what the work force is like. I see one person complaining about paying $950 a month for insurance. Welcome to the post “Obama care” world. I have teacher friends, who we all know make very little, that pay more for their families per month. These programs are less comprehensive and cost more out of pocket. Insurance is expensive now, as well as required. Get over it.

If you have worked somewhere more than a year and never had a review or evaluation by your immediate manager, you should ask for one. Everyone manages differently. I got a review when I asked for it. I had my pay reviewed as well because I asked for it. It was like this at two other companies I worked for. Sometimes the process just isn't in place yet. Universal Laser is like any other company. They don’t want to lose valuable employees and will work to keep you. The only reason I left is because the offer I received somewhere else was not capable of being matched. My manger certainly made offers to get me stay.

Advice to Management

Make the best decisions you can and keep the company growing. Some day I may want to come back and I want to see the company in better shape than when I left. There are good people working there and great products being developed. Always remember good people are worth holding onto.