Universal Lighting Technologies

www.universalballast.com
  www.universalballast.com
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Lighting Technologies

Great opportunities to learn.

I worked at Universal Lighting Technologies

Pros

Managers are supportive of employees who want to learn and take on new responsibilities. Great benefits including tuition reimbursement. Opportunities to travel if appropriate for the type of job you have. They attempt to promote from within.

Cons

A lot of stress as the company was sold/purchased several times. Organizational structure was changed repeatedly causing employees to be afraid for their jobs.

Create work place security and your employees will more productive. A lot of good employees have left the company for this reason.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Lighting Technologies (View Most Recent)

Mechanical Engineering CO-OP

I have been working at Universal Lighting Technologies

Pros

True hands on experience. You are treated as a full time employee from day one. Superb management. Essentially make your own schedule, within reason.

Cons

No over-time. Some of the employees tend to have low morale about the projects they are working on due to continuous spinning of the wheels. Also, the company structure is very vertical, as a CO-OP do not expect to have the opportunity to speak to upper management.

Do your best to consult with the engineers before deciding to enact a change in their project. Also, keep an eye on the final issue that needs to be solved, the more you jump around the less work that gets done.

OK place to work as a product designer

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Universal Lighting Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a lot of latitude to get projects completed in a low supervised environment. For those taking higher education training your work schedule can be flexible. A good place to gain experience working with LED modules and fixtures.

Cons

Company is owned by Panasonic so layoffs can occur without warning, me as an example. Two weeks after I was hired, 4 people were laid off. Not a good omen. The company is broken up in locations in Austin, TX; Huntsville, AL; Nashville, TN; and Boston, MS and getting hold of people for information or discussing things in a visual nature becomes difficult. I was hired by ULT for my experience with outdoor lighting, to help in their expansion in developing outdoor light fixtures, but I was never used in that capacity. I was nomadically given projects: completing unfinished LED module projects, LED component testing equipment, packaging design, and finally a driver programming project, until Panasonic decided to undergo a corporate restructuring and laid me off - thanks for nothing.

I have nothing to say.