Universal Orlando Resort

www.universalorlando.com
  www.universalorlando.com
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

Employee support ends at the entrance.

Former Employee - Attraction Attendant  in  Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Attraction Attendant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free passes to parks, and some passed for friends (although they are now electronic and hard to give to friends).

The joy of entertaining people.

Reasonable priced food in the company cafeterias.

Most of the fellow "team members" are good people.

Cons

Lack of support when you falter. I had problems dealing with guests. I was promised over 2 years that they would provide support, advice and classes in getting along with problem guests. They lied to me. I received no support and no advice from venue management, except "try to do better." Really? How? What is your secret? Do you expect people to do this stuff naturally, or through telepathy?

Lack of concern for team members from management and team leaders. People just one step above could have offered support and suggestions: they didn't.

Crappy schedules. Began as a "casual" which was very limited work hours. Had to beg and plead to become a "part time," where we were supposed to get 20 hours a week - but usually didn't. Had to go around to venues to beg and plead for additional shifts, in my spare time.

Low pay, of course - and promises of better pay for performance were just smoke and mirrors.

During my time there I saw several "perks" systems for team members. They got discarded and re-started. A person who did extra work, like taking out venue trash for the team leaders or doing extra projects. might get a perk - but not often. I worked on a project documenting the physical plant and problems in my venue, and when my work was shown to the supervisor, he discarded it, saying it would have to be done on company time (like when? During the day while working?) I did this in my spare time because I liked my venue, and Universal threw it in my face.

Perhaps the worst: I knew someone in middle management, who died at the time I reached my one-year mark. I went to her departments and asked if anyone would put a remembrance of her, specifically in the Macy's Parade for which she volunteered. Not even a notice on the bulletin board. That was my first clue that management saw the team members as infinitely replaceable "work units" who could all die, for all they cared.

Do you guys care about your employees? Do you want them to be long-term, reliable and enthusiastic? Do you want them to treat your guests well? Then train them! Show them how to give guest service, especially with angry guests. And don't change your mind when team members follow those guidelines and you change them on the spot. When team members have problems with the most angry guests, as I did, give them additional training sessions, don't hang them out to dry. When someone gives their heart and soul to the company, don't stomp on it.

130 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Orlando Resort (View Most Recent)

Awesome Company

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time

Pros

Pay rate is good and the management will mentor and encourage you to grow.

Cons

Depending on what department you work in the pay isn't that great

They try hard, but they'll always be second best in the orlando market.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there are some good folks that work there, at multiple levels.

Cons

ivory tower thinking is pretty marked. also a fair share of cya politics.

learn and then play to the strengths of your teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

Worked for Universal Orlando Resort? Contribute to the Community!