Universal Orlando Resort

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to grow within the company
Lunch is provided and it is actually pretty good
Really easy to make good friends

Cons

Your always busy so be ready to work but it makes the day go by fast
Not much else bad to say about the place

137 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Orlando Resort (View Most Recent)

Great Company!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Perks, Paid Holidays (FT TM) and Internal opportunities

Cons

Senior & Mid-Level management doesn't listen especially working in the parks. There need to be an union in place so that park TM's will not be treated as such. Park TM's do not have a voice and if they do they may not have a job any more if they speak up or their hours and days may be cut.

Listen to TM's who work in the parks. Help TM's to get to the next level in their career whether it is entry-level, management or BOH.

I miss this place!

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the Wizarding World was my very first job right after I graduated high school, and it was one of the best job experiences I've ever had. I loved my work location, I loved the majority of my co-workers (none of us work there anymore but we're all still very close and see each other often), I loved the majority of my team leads and managers, etc. I was there for a year and a half, and I remember genuinely being excited to come to work and seeing my friends.

THE GOOD:

- Free park entry whenever you want (including special events like Halloween Horror Nights, unlike Disney where even their employees have to actually purchase tickets to attend their special events).
    - Advanced screenings for films.
    - Employee parties (If I remember correctly, they cleared out the Wizarding World section for the attraction attendants and they had the whole place to themselves while their managers operated the rides - very cool).
    - Free turkeys and Publix giftcards during Thanksgiving.
    - They have INSANE lost & found sales every year for employees. I had a co-worker who bought a very nice Canon SLR for $120.
    - Coupon books during the holidays which consist of ridiculous discounts and freebies that you can get throughout the parks.
    - Flexible scheduling. Very easy to trade shifts or request days off.
    - Amazing team to work with, you'll find yourself spending your free time and days off with a lot of these people, mark my words!
    - Personally, I loved my uniform/costume. It was definitely one of the more comfortable costumes in the whole park.
    - Great food options for lunch. Still some of the best employee food I've had (and I've worked at "fancier" places since then).

Cons

The only thing that I did not like about my time at Universal was a "forced switch" that they made all of the merchandise locations participate in. Management thought everyone was too "cliquey" and wanted a few people from each store to move into different stores to "alleviate this issue". I'll never understand what that meant - everyone in their own store saw their co-workers as family/team and we all got along extremely well - why ruin that camaraderie and rapport that we've built? Funny enough, that switch was the catalyst for a LOT of drama within every single store and it created a lot of animosity and resentment for the managers. Some new co-workers meshed well with their new stores and some did not at all - which created even more drama and made my last few months completely insufferable. Ultimately, this is why I decided to leave Universal.

THE BAD:

- The pay is horrible. I was making $7.25 when I started and $8.35 by the time I left. Luckily, I was a 17/18 year old still living with my mom and I had no real bills to pay. You can't live off of this place (get a second job). I don't even think team leads make that much either, but they definitely should because they deal with so much stress and BS from guests and management.
    - Power hungry co-workers who kissed ass and snitched on everyone in hopes of being promoted to a team lead position and would actually get promoted even though their work ethics were awful and people who were actually qualified for the team lead positions were consistently looked over.

Please pay attention to what is actually going on within your stores! Stop trying to "fix" things that aren't broken!

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Orlando Resort