My experience was great.

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Universal Orlando Resort part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours, friendly people, good mangers, decent pay, weekly pay

Cons

all the tourists, tons of walking in the blazing sun

Other Employee Reviews for Universal Orlando Resort

1. It's not so bad...but lately I wonder if the grass is greener somewhere else.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Orlando Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Universal is very competitive with their wage offerings, and are constantly trying to make things better for employees. The team is very positive, though many of them are young. When you need time off, they generally are very cool about it, and you can't beat the work/life balance. It's enjoyable to work there, and you do get great benefits such as free admission to the parks and events, previews of upcoming attractions and venues, excellent healthcare benefits and paid holidays.

Cons

The point system. I understand attendance is important, but when you have a death in the family, a car accident, etc. you should not be pointed for those circumstances. They are unavoidable. If you regularly call out, then of course there needs to be discipline. You start with 10 points. Let's say you get in a car accident on the way to work, so you have to call out but it's not within the 2 hour time period. You still get pointed, and it's 2 points instead of 1 for a situation you couldn't avoid. Or, you come into work sick because you don't want to lose points, but they tell you that you should go home because you are too sick and point you anyway. Either modify the point system, or get rid of it altogether, because it's really not fair. Also, managers and HR are very close, so if you have a problem with your manager that is HR worthy, and want to talk to them, there is a little bit of lack of professionalism. It generally works this way..."Oh I know (insert your concern here) is not true. I've known (insert manager's name here) for years and I know he/she isn't like that." So nothing really gets done, other than the fact that you are treated differently by your managers...and not in a good way. "trying to get them in trouble" is seen as a grave mistake that will always follow you and taint the way you're viewed making it uncomfortable at times to be at work with them.

Advice to Management

If upper management is considered Bill Davis, then I don't have advice because I think he does a great job! He's very approachable and I don't feel like he has a superiority complex. If upper management is considered area managers or GM of a department, then my advice is don't play favorites. I know it's hard not to, but you make it noticeable, and it's unfair. Each area should have leadership training, and regular meetings with team members who have expressed an interest in moving up in the company. Perhaps you notice they have talents that would flourish in another department...let them know. Communicate to the team and help pave the way for growth opportunities. It shouldn't be a dictatorship. Managers should be approachable and able to be trusted by their team.

2. Warehouse

Pros

Everyone is friendly and helpful while being professional.

Cons

Pay is not the best. Does not match other warehouse.