There are newer employer reviews for Universal Service Administrative Company

Great working environment with wonderful benefits

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Process Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The working environment over at USAC is great. USAC really cares about their employees. Not only does USAC provides basic benefits package, it is the most generous benefits I have ever had during my 18 years career life. They also allow flexible working hours to accommodate individual employee's needs.

Cons

A semi- government work approach. Things move steady, not in a fast pace.

Keep doing the great job.

34 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Service Administrative Company (View Most Recent)

Not a good option for a motivated person

I have been working at Universal Service Administrative Company

Pros

-Great benefits package (health insurance, metro help, etc.)
    -11% fully vested non-match employer 401k contribution (unheard of in other jobs)
    -Flexible schedules (telecommute, etc.)
    -At least in my department, there aren't many demands on your time.

Note: I think this job might be perfect for someone 40+ who really just wants a steady paycheck and would be fine staying stagnant until they retire. If you're hoping to move up/ learn useful new skills, etc. I don't really think this is the job for you.

Cons

-Workflow contains lots of unnecessary barriers and inefficiencies. There is very low desire to fix inefficiencies.
    -High level of "office politics" - be wary of who you talk to, who you talk about, keeping a smile on your face
    -Base pay lacking/ issues with increases due to government approval process
    -Reminds me almost daily of the movie "Office Space"
    -Very little upward mobility available in most departments
    -It's hard to identify with whom we are serving (FCC, telecomm, or subscribers?) and it takes the hustle out of people's attitudes

Honestly, given that the jobs seem to really only require someone 40+ that doesn't want new skill sets, I think hiring practices should adjust. Trapping younger people with the exciting marketing pitch is a bit cruel.

Go here if you don't care

Former Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Universal Service Administrative Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Flex time offered. Probably good if you are in audit or IT division, both of which have relatively new leadership.

Cons

Zero leadership, lousy communication (an anonymous intranet portal to the CEO is NOT communication). No vision, no strategy, just a mostly good-old-boys network run by the COO. Leadership and operations divisions are all run by VPs who have been at USAC for at least a decade. Competence definitely not rewarded (at least not in my division). If you care about the mission, this is not the place for you. If you are good at going along to get along (just give me the lousy paycheck and let me leave at 4:15), you'll love it here.

Get new leadership. These guys have been there too long. You can't blame everything on the FCC.

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Service Administrative Company

Worked for Universal Service Administrative Company? Contribute to the Community!