Universal Studios

www.universalstudios.com
  www.universalstudios.com
There are newer employer reviews for Universal Studios

Thrilling, engaging and exciting!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Studios

Pros

The people I worked with your kind and easy to get along with. I love Entertainment at Universal, and enjoy performing for guests to make their experience at the worlds number entertainment park that much more spectacular.

Cons

It's Universal. Guest can be difficult to work with or just all around rude, but what can you do?

93 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Studios (View Most Recent)

Engaging

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Universal Studios

Pros

World class operation, one of the big 5.

Cons

Big company, usual dynamics, usual politics.

Embrace and adapt changing preferences for online and mobile experiences

Disappointing

Current Employee - Vendor (Seasonal)  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Vendor (Seasonal) in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Universal Studios

Pros

Free entrance into Universal Studios and 35% employee discount at certain locations and venues. The wardrobe area is well run, clean, and has plenty of staff to assist.

Cons

The North Carts division is a constant revolving door of employees coming and going over the years with a lot getting fired for stealing. I understand they must have rules and guidelines to counteract the huge and constant problem they've had with cashiers stealing but during my past 5 years with them as mostly a vendor and sometimes a cashier they constantly change the rules of how things are done and now in my opinion they have completely set their regular vendors up for failure and eventual firing.

Vendors must list a complete inventory of all beer and bottled drinks that are on their cart and have it verified by management before they start their shift of vending these drinks out in the park. They are paid a small commission on the amount of their sales along with their hourly wage. After their 8 hour shift out in the park vending the drinks, then I am pulled back in and counted, then the count is verified once again by management and compared to the money I have.

They allow up to 5 dollars being over or short. Most of the time I have been within that 5 dollar range but occasionally as I am only human I have been over or short. There was one time last year that I was short by 20 dollars and I was made to pay this 20 dollars back to them by having it taken out of my commission. That was a new change that they made back then.

I am not a person who steals and this is why I have lasted 5 years already as a seasonal vendor/cashier. (not a scheduled part time or full time but like an "on-call" worker who calls them to see when their busy times are and when they can use me.

Now they have changed their rules to any overages or shortages over 5 dollars incrue penalty points. There was one day where I was 25 dollars over and I was given 3 penalty points and a verbal warning. I have no idea what happened to cause me to be 25 dollars over. But what is not fair about this situation is when I go on my half hour break or even a bathroom break then a lead has to take over my cart for me and handle my cash and also orders more product that they have to count and verify as it is added to my inventory while I am on break.

But yet if my money is off at the end of my shift they do not share in the penalty at all. They have shared my money and added more to my inventory for 30 minutes while I am on break but they get away with not sharing any responsible for any possible errors on their part just because they are a lead or team captian.

This is not fair because when a regular cashier who uses a real register (vendors do not use a register) goes on break they do a register reading, sign out of the drawer and take their drawer with them to a locker and the person who breaks them brings a new cash drawer in for that 30 minutes.

Also, I don't think it is fair to be penalized equally for being over on my money rather than being short. Yes it is still an error that happened somehow but at least the company has made more money on my mistake. Beers are 6 dollars each so all it would have taken was for 4 extra beers to be added in that were not counted somehow to make me be 24 dollars over.

Now for the 3 point penalty that I have I must work 9 times with a perfect outcome in order for those 3 points to disappear. I have vended one more time since then and came out perfectly. BUT - this last time that I came out perfectly I was also forced to have an ice cream cart to vend ice cream next to my drink cart. As I was loading the ice cream cart there was a full box of ice cream bars that was supposed to have 16 in them. Even though it was a sealed box I started to open it and count it just to make sure there were indeed 16 in them. The lead that was verifying my count told me it was not necessary to open the box and count it since it was sealed.

But I opened it anyways and good thing I did because there was only 15 in there and the lead was right there with me and verified that this new, sealed box was indeed short 1 bar!!! So if I had not opened this new box and counted it that would have shorted me by $3.25 and I would have lost my 5 dollar over/short grace window and could easily have gotten one more point added to my record as a penalty for being short more than 5 dollars!!

See how they are now setting up their vendors for failure? First its not fair for an honest worker like myself who is only human and occasionally makes a mistake to be penalized like this. Second I have proved that brand new sealed boxes of products do not always have the amounts that are supposed to be in them, and third I have to share my money and inventory with another person while I'm on break but yet they share no accountabiity for any overages or shortages at the end!

If I get another 3 points then there will be an investigation, and if it happens again with another 3 points then I can be suspended and/or fired so why would I even want to do this vending job anymore?

I am totally an honest worker who has valued my vending job and am extremely disappointed to be penalized like this when in this type of vending situation its just too easy for mistakes to happen. If my money ends up short I don't mind paying the difference out of my commission if necessary because normally I'm fairly accurate and don't have this problem but every now and then a shortage or overage of 10, 15 or 20 dollars does happen to me.

I'm only human and feel that as long as my overages are not real huge why am I now being penalized with points as if I am someone dishonest now? I could quickly lose my job due not only to my own honest human error but the fact that I must share my money and inventory with another person who gets off scott free at the end!

I don't think this is fair at all and I'm extremely disappointed that Universal is now going with this new policy of issuing penalty points. I'm currently trying to transfer out to another department because I'm an honest person who does not steal, has no need to steal and I'm not going to lose out on opportunities to keep working at Universal because they now want to issue severe penalty points for honest mistakes.

Find another way to determine who your honest vendors are other than treating them all like they are potential thieves by penalizing vendors with penalty points for overages/shortages that are less than 30 dollars. Its not fair to be penalized 3 points for an honest mistake of somehow being $25 over at the end when I'm sharing my money and inventory with a lead who does not share in the penalty at the end.

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Studios

Worked for Universal Studios? Contribute to the Community!