Universal Truckload Services

LTI Fleet Manager

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Universal Truckload Services

Pros

The employees are laid back and are generally pleasant to work with as well as the parent company in Michigan.

Cons

One major downside is that you are on call once a week every three or four weeks where you can be reached 24/7.

Overall you do a great job. One thing I would change is the amount of second chances some driver's and agents receive.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Universal Truckload Services (View Most Recent)

Blah.

I have been working at Universal Truckload Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like others have posted before, you get paid weekly and the check clears. Whoopie.

Cons

Alot of micromanaging and the benefits suck. The health insurance can run you over $300 a month with pathetic coverage, and that's just insane since they pay their employees very little. Also, you get very little PTO time and it is based on calendar year, accrued by each quarter. You are only given only 5-8 days your first full calendar year, only increasing the second calendar year to 10-13 days, depending on if you are hourly or salary. If and only if you make it to your seventh year will they give you 3 weeks... As for raises, fat chance getting one- if you are lucky enough to get one it will be very insignificant. Cost of living and general life expenses always outweigh what you are actually paid, unless you're management or a very high up higher up.

Fantastic Company

Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Weekly pay, lots of room for advancement but you have to be willing to move across the country. Universal is such a large company that there is nothing we can't do in the Transportation world. This is a great place to start as an entry level fleet manager and work your way up. In fact one of the presidents started many years ago as a fleet manager. I also started as a fleet manager and have been promoted 3 times in the 3 and a half years I have been there. They are always promoting people from within and with a promotion you get a pay raise and typically a bonus check if you are moving to a different location. Universal is such a large company and it just keeps growing!! I honestly love working here!!

Cons

No direct deposit. Not Blue Cross Blue Shield, instead they use their own insurance company so therefore its really expensive. Working in the HQ office is kind of noisy and bright. They require salary employees to still "clock in and out" Vacation days are horrible. 5 your first year at best, and depending when you start and I believe you max out at 15 after 6 years?

Give higher pay raises based on performance. 3% is almost a slap in the face! Parking at the HQ office. You should be able to have fun at work, quite with the micro-managing, we are all adults here. Bring back holiday parties. Start doing team building events(mini golf, bowling etc). Let your employees travel to the terminals they work with. Keep your employees happy and they will stick around!!

There are newer employer reviews for Universal Truckload Services