Not the Same after Merger

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International

Pros

I joined Pegasus when the two companies, Universal ENSCO and Pegasus International, were still separate entities. Pegasus was a very employee friendly company; the bosses were very concerned with the well being of its employees. It was like working in a family. Then, over the course of the last two years, merger talks were held under the auspices of an outside investor, systems were unified, departments streamlined and the two were made as one, except that...

Cons

... from the point of view of the employees, things have changed a lot. The relation between bosses and employees have not been the same, especially after some of the old time management people left. Departments where the old leaders are still there seem to maintain their old relationships, but where managers have changed the atmosphere has turned a bit uneasy. Things will probably settle down after a while, but for the time being... not every one is loving the change!

- Improve communications between different "divisions" of the company. The offshore people do not seem to know that there are opportunities in the onshore group they might be interested in. The onshore doesn't bother to advertise their projects to the other groups. The international group is oblivious to what is happening in the other areas.
- Be honest in communicating expectations; do not say that there is bright outlook for next year and then turn around and let old timers go. This makes the employees feel uneasy.

Other Reviews for UniversalPegasus International

Extremely too heavy, unpredictable, untrustworthy and disorganized. Revolving door.

Former Employee - Support Staff  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits for full time staff. Recruiters will negotiate aggressively to bring talented people onboard. Most of the fellow staff/employees are very friendly and intelligent people.

Cons

Management is horrible and very political. You will often feel like a pawn in a petty game where management staff are primarily concerned in their own job security and furthering their own careers at any cost, with staff frequently getting caught in the crossfire. The resulting politics and fear amongst staff will often take precedence over actually producing quality work. It's not uncommon to receive conflicting direction from your many "bosses" and you will be frequently hindered in getting your job done efficiently as a result. UPI does not value employees and will lay off even the most talented staff when business is slow, especially if you are deemed "overhead" I.E support staff, HR, accounting, permitting, etc. Our recently acquired Calgary office (formerly IPPCL) is slowly but surely following in the footsteps of the Houston (read the other reviews here) as I am witnessing the departure of many good people, both due to being pushed out and also many leaving of their own accord. I've always liked management in Calgary but they are slowly losing their grip on this office to Houston. The Calgary president (who now reports to Houston due to the acquisition) had a policy of keeping good staff whenever he could even when work was slow. This was so that he could retain loyal and skilled workers who were ready to tackle the next big project as soon as business picked up again. This philosophy seems to be changing as UPI management in Houston slowly takes more and more control with each and every "alignment meeting" they host with Calgary staff. Do yourself (and your career) a favour and stay clear of this place unless you are looking for some quick "in-and-out" contract work.

While I doubt that any advice coming from an employee would actually be heeded by management, I would say that fear and politics is the biggest internal threat to the company. Focus on fixing the company culture from within, I.E focus on doing what you were actually hired to do as opposed to chasing large bonuses and short term personal gain at the expense of others. Staff will only be as loyal as you are to them.

This company is back on track and poised for growth this Philip Luna as CEO

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Due to growth career advancement is common and from within the company.

Cons

Need to have rec center for employees

There are newer employer reviews for UniversalPegasus International.

Worked for UniversalPegasus International? Contribute to the Community!