Nice and friendly

Current Contractor - Research Technician I in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Contractor - Research Technician I in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University Health Network as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, everybody is friendly

Cons

no benefits to temporary employee

Advice to Management

consider benefits to temporary employee

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Postdocs are still not recognized as employees...

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University Health Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The research environment at UHN is cutting-edge, dynamic and collaborative. Many teaching hospitals around with lots of expertise

Cons

While many postdoctoral research fellows across Canada are now recognized as university employees (including postdoctoral fellows at the University of Toronto as of September 2013), those at University Health Network continue to be viewed as trainees. As such, our salary ($40,000/year/no benefits) is treated as a fellowship and is not currently insurable i.e. we are not allowed to contribute to the employment insurance (EI) program and therefore cannot claim EI for sick leave, maternity leave and such... Yet we still have to pay taxes... Overall, this makes for a rather unsecure work environment that is not rewarding at all given all the hours we pour into the research.

Advice to Management

UHN must recognize that academic research relies heavily on hard-working smart postdocs and should treat them with more respect by recognizing they are highly valuable employees. I urge UHN to pay your half of EI benefits!!!

2. Great place to work, great people

I have been working at University Health Network

Pros

resources available at the general hospital ARE GREAT. People at UHN are unique. First of all, conditions at the city always are the best

Cons

none at time when I was. First of all, conditions at the city always are the best