University of Alabama at Birmingham
www.uab.edu Birmingham, AL 5000+ Employees

Worked as Student Assistant to Daphne Powell in Donor Relations and as a Veteran Rock Climbing Wall Attendant.

ProsGenerally flexible schedule, Daphne Powell & Bill Pierce were excellent bosses (donor relations and outdoor pursuits, respectively),

ConsLack of respect and appreciation from Administration at times. Ex: After the unexpected death of a young lady well known and loved in the climbing community, the scheduled staff (myself included) of the rock wall were threatened with losing out jobs if we closed the climbing wall for only two hours so all could attend the funeral service. During that time window, only TWO patrons came. The original argument against was that students, staff, and faculty have paid for that area to be available for their use and closing it for personal reasons was unacceptable. No regulars of the climbing wall were there as everyone was attending the funeral. Needless to say, for those of us stuck working, it was very upsetting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper level administration could improve by adapting to show a little more flexibility and understanding to the real world needs and circumstances of it's student-employee group. Sometimes the changes or allowances requested were treated as some great inconvenience where in most other work environments or even a full time employee of the University would be given a great deal more latitude.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok place to work, but not much opportunity for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Alabama at Birmingham

Pros: Working at UAB library is a convenient job especially when… Cons: The pay is low and never received a raise during the 3 years I… Advice to Senior Management: Provide more opportunities for employees to grow and learn new… More

Good employer and adequate pay.

Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Alabama at Birmingham

Pros: Hospital was great at encouraging employees to pursue accreditation. Cons: Not all units where as organized. Advice to Senior Management: Use SICU as a model for other units. NICU … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Worked for University of Alabama at Birmingham? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Alabama at Birmingham reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Alabama at Birmingham CEO Ray Watts. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Alabama at Birmingham employees.