University of Alabama at Birmingham

www.uab.edu
  www.uab.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Alabama at Birmingham

Worked as Student Assistant to Daphne Powell in Donor Relations and as a Veteran Rock Climbing Wall Attendant.

I have been working at University of Alabama at Birmingham part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally flexible schedule, Daphne Powell & Bill Pierce were excellent bosses (donor relations and outdoor pursuits, respectively),

Cons

Lack of respect and appreciation from Administration at times. Ex: After the unexpected death of a young lady well known and loved in the climbing community, the scheduled staff (myself included) of the rock wall were threatened with losing out jobs if we closed the climbing wall for only two hours so all could attend the funeral service. During that time window, only TWO patrons came. The original argument against was that students, staff, and faculty have paid for that area to be available for their use and closing it for personal reasons was unacceptable. No regulars of the climbing wall were there as everyone was attending the funeral. Needless to say, for those of us stuck working, it was very upsetting.

The upper level administration could improve by adapting to show a little more flexibility and understanding to the real world needs and circumstances of it's student-employee group. Sometimes the changes or allowances requested were treated as some great inconvenience where in most other work environments or even a full time employee of the University would be given a great deal more latitude.

86 Other Employee Reviews for University of Alabama at Birmingham (View Most Recent)

Ok place to work, but not much opportunity for growth

I worked at University of Alabama at Birmingham

Pros

Working at UAB library is a convenient job especially when you are a current student. Co-workers and managers are fairly nice.

Cons

The pay is low and never received a raise during the 3 years I was an employee. There was not much opportunity to grow or learn new responsibilities.

Provide more opportunities for employees to grow and learn new responsibilities.

Good employer and adequate pay.

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at University of Alabama at Birmingham

Pros

Hospital was great at encouraging employees to pursue accreditation.

Cons

Not all units where as organized.

Use SICU as a model for other units. NICU is very poorly run.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Alabama at Birmingham