University of British Columbia

www.ubc.ca

Commitment to work life balance and strong leadership, but varies by unit

Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsBeautiful location, strong leadership, great amenities (recreational, cultural, pro-D), benefits, vacation, range of career options available, option to live on campus = no commute.

ConsAn inherently innovative organization struggling to get past the bureacracy, hierarchical structure and crippling long and overly consultative decision making processes. Unfortunately the workplace satisfaction is dependent on the individual unit and supervisor (not unlike large organizations).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to bring in strong hires, but give them the freedom to try new things and support their decision making. Ensure your mid-level management understand the need to build capacity in the workforce, crediting good work and building a team - it varies so widely by department. Every manager should be required to go through management training.

Just avoid this hell-hole like a plague!!

Masters Student (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia full-time for more than a year

Pros: None! It has no redeeming qualities! Nada! Zilch!! Cons: Lots! Starving wages. Slave-like labour. Lots of teaching duties. Outrageously expensive city: with the starving wages they pay you, you'll be dreaming about having two… Advice to Senior Management: Take fewer students and fund them better: it's really not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great experience, but not the same for everyone

Work Study Student (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: My supervisor cultivated a positive work environment that was very student-oriented. I worked at the same place for 3 years and I feel like I… Cons: There is little support outside of your supervisor and immediate work area. I have heard some awful things about supervisors abusing their position… Advice to Senior Management: NEED MORE REGULATION/COMMUNICATION with faculty members. Students should be able to submit evaluations of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on University of British Columbia.

Worked for University of British Columbia? Contribute to the Community!