There are newer employer reviews for University of British Columbia

Writing Centre Tutor

Former Employee - Writing Centre Tutor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Former Employee - Writing Centre Tutor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great way to earn an extra income as a student, with rock solid pay for a part-time job. Easy access to reference letters, and a good way to network as a bonus. I'd venture to say that this is the best work-study position available at UBC.

Cons

No cons really; my own writing improved as a consequence of working here and getting trained by the centre. Yeah, I really can't think of a single con.

Keep up the great work! The people at the centre are awesome!

180 Other Employee Reviews for University of British Columbia (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, OK salary, beautiful campus, great opportunities for continual learning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of British Columbia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love working with the students. They are excited, motivated and have their whole careers and lives ahead of them. There are lots of resources for information and learning in such a large university. The department I work in is fun, although we all work very hard.

Cons

Decisions do not happen quickly and often there are roadblocks to more flexible work arrangements and work processes. Faculty on the whole, do not value the contributions of staff. Every year, there seem to be more cutbacks and an expectation of doing more with less.

Be open to new ways to work and deliver services that give employees more flexibility. As a public institution it is understandable that we do not have endless amounts of financial resources, so working smarter (not harder) is what we need. I greatly admire Stephen Toope, but faculty deans may not always have the best leadership skills

Used to be a wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at University of British Columbia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus life, a city in itself!

Cons

Becoming more and more like private sector sweat shop, but without any of the perks like nice office space and bonuses!

Promote from within!