University of California Berkeley

www.berkeley.edu

Cal is a great place to work- though every department is VERY different.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsMost department positions offer great work life balance, benefits and the knowledge that you are contributing to something greater than yourself. Generally there are wonderful, like minded people as well.

ConsThis depends greatly on the department, more so than at other "companies." Many positions are dramatically underpaid compared to the private sector (or private schools), and some departments are very different in culture. The core benefits are roughly the same for all, but the work life balance depends dramatically on the unit and job title.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on standardizing with OE initiatives. It may not be popular right now, but its necessary. Keep working to make the pay scales fair and send the message to ALL the units that we are whole people, who need balance to make the most effective contributions.

It was alright.

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time for less than a year

Pros: You get to work with other students and network with them, job tasks… Cons: Boring work, boring people, soul-draining unless you have no soul Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great colleagues, but bad pay for researchers. Perpetual resource constraints.

Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Living and working in the San Francisco Bay Area is awesome. The… Cons: Public university problems are system-wide. Too much bureaucracy, too much paperwork, too little incentive in the… Advice to Senior Management: Streamline the management of things. Reduce endless paperwork. Keep key staff who perform well. Stop paying upper management… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on University of California Berkeley.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!